disabling firewalls

Ok, let's take MSN.

Do you manage to get connected at all? If yes, it's unlikely to be a firewall issue in real terms, although some routers have really bad throughput, especially if using high bandwidth connections with video and audio.

If you manage to connect to MSN, does the program hang or just drop your Internet connection or just drop the MSN connection? Try running a browser alongside MSN to see if you can still access web pages when MSN stops working.

Now general Internet.

When you are browsing, using whatever browser you use, do you randomly lose connectivity?

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking "short and to the point"....hopefully I can do that.

MSN....I can sign in. I can stay signed in for an undetermined amount of time. If someone is at the other end....I sometimes appear offline to them and yet I am online to me. Sometimes, it will sign me out.. with a message along the lines of (it varies)microsoft messenger is unavailable, so you have been signed off....or microsoft is unavailable because you are not connected to the internet. Since I do have wireless and my own 'airport' I can see this status all the time....it appears that I am connected. just to note....when I get the message that its goin bye bye.....I have to force quit the application because it just hangs there...
General internet.....besides this forum (others are having the same prob)....two big issues...the address takes an incredibly long time to load...and it is a hit or miss...usually a miss when it comes to downloads....like applications...I can download music like from limewire with no probs...(incidently thats where I discovered the prescence of a firewall...it shows you a little cartoon of it and says it detects one..I assumed it was mine)

is that clearer? :confused:

The fact that you can actually connect to MSN would indicate that the firewall is not an issue. I am assuming you have managed to communicate with at least one person.

It's a difficult one to diagnose without actually being there. If you could access the router status pages and post some logs, it might give us a clue. Also, the fact that you appear to have other issues with the MAC could be clouding the real problem.

one quick question. When you say 'actually connect' to MSN.....at the risk of rambling....kev and I tonight...I got signed in....I type hello...he typed back...I type something else....so did he....then..I get.." message not delivered"..and he says (we're talking on the phone the whole time) you've gone offline....but I hadnt...but this type of thing is typical which is why I say it doesnt work.
One interesting thing in this whole mix of issues...because MSN is windows based....when they introduced the MSN live...I had to download from version 5.1.1(for mac) which was just fine to 6.0.2 in order to play at all....never could tell if it was this change or the other issues or everything combined.

what logs would be helpful...and by router...do you mean Vonage? or Belkin wireless...I have both.

Sponsored Links
So, how many real boxes (routers/modems etc) are there between your wireless laptop and the cable socket and what are the model numbers?

there are two routers.......(3 boxes including the modem)
Vonage is Motorola VT2442-V0
Belkin (wireless G router) F5072304 -note(I can type in an IP address in the address bar and configure my settings for it)

and the cable modem itself is SP (scientific products?)U10C018

the wireless is physically in front of the vonage..if that makes a difference

modem+vonage+wireless+computer

Have you tried connecting via one of the wired ports on the VT2442? This would help narrow the problem down. Similarly if there is still a problem connect directly to the modem (probably good to turn the mac firewall back on if you do this - but then again as it's a mac the risk is lower).

Also you could try taking the VT2442 out of the loop and connecting the Belkin to the modem (in fact wouldn't this be a better configuration with the VT2442 and mac then connecting to the Belkin so the mac traffic isn't going through the VT2442 - or does vonage have issues with this?)

mlb3c said:
there are two routers.......(3 boxes including the modem)
Vonage is Motorola VT2442-V0
Belkin (wireless G router) F5072304 -note(I can type in an IP address in the address bar and configure my settings for it)

and the cable modem itself is SP (scientific products?)U10C018

the wireless is physically in front of the vonage..if that makes a difference

modem+vonage+wireless+computer

Ok, I can't find documentation for your Belkin, only for model F5D7230-4, which is a modem/router.

If this is the case, I can see a problem.
I just want to check how you have wired the boxes. From what you have said, can you confirm that:

The cable modem is connected to the Vonage via the WAN or INTERNET port.

One of the Vonage LAN ports is connected to one of the Belkin LAN ports.

If the Belkin has a WAN port, it is not connected.

If this is the case, I can see a problem.

oh dear...

I CAN confirm that the ethernet cable from the cable modem......plugs into the WAN (internet) port of the Vonage. from the ethernet port (is this LAN??) of the Vonage....that cord plugs into the WAN port of the Belkin.

I read your last post....your suggestion....I dont think Vonage has a vote....I'll try anything at this point....but not sure what you mean....the Mac doesnt have anything to plug in or out....so that aside....what goes where?

the worst that will happen will be I cant get connected...in which case, plan B

ps... the model number you found for the Belkin is probably correct...I have bifocals and still couldnt make it out...so that probably is a 'D'

MGFDude said:
Hi

FTP = File Transfer Protocol

It is the protocol used for transferring files to, or from, an FTP site.

You will find more details Here

Hope this helps :D
MGFDude

thanks for the link....I added it to my bookmarks ;)

mlb3c said:
oh dear...

I CAN confirm that the ethernet cable from the cable modem......plugs into the WAN (internet) port of the Vonage. from the ethernet port (is this LAN??) of the Vonage....that cord plugs into the WAN port of the Belkin.

I read your last post....your suggestion....I dont think Vonage has a vote....I'll try anything at this point....but not sure what you mean....the Mac doesnt have anything to plug in or out....so that aside....what goes where?

the worst that will happen will be I cant get connected...in which case, plan B

ps... the model number you found for the Belkin is probably correct...I have bifocals and still couldnt make it out...so that probably is a 'D'

Ok, this is a valid connection method, and actually provides a very secure path between the wireless devices (and anything connected between the Belkin) and the Internet. However, you have actually created an extra firewalled network, which your wireless traffic has to cross before reaching the Internet. This is almost certainly creating a bottleneck, which will affect comms. related traffic.

This is considered to be an advanced connection type because of all the extra variables that have been introduced. I use this as a budget method to double secure certain PCs within a network. I probably wouldn't use your average home router to do it tho.

As Stevesey mentioned, you could improve things if you were to connect the Belkin to the modem, hence moving the wireless access point to the outer network. You then connect one of the Belkin LAN ports to the Vonage WAN/INTERNET port.

A better solution would be to dump the Belkin and Vonage routers and get a single Vonage wireless router or other VOIP router, compatible with Vonage. You could also have just added a wireless access point to the Vonage, which would have simplified things a little.

for right now, I have gone with the "improved" method....cant tell a difference at this exact time because no one is online at the moment to try it out.
As for the "better" solution....I need some clarification.
Instead of replacing the vonage (voip) router....could I just replace the Belkin with ...let's say ...a Linksys wireless G USB Network Adapter model #WUSB54G.....?

Also...I found a Linksys phone adapter (vonage compatible)model #PAP2..just in case (havent purchased yet) it would be better to replace both....(need feedback here)

and thirdly....Linksys Wireless G Broadband w/built in access point model # WRT54G (but to be honest...it looks awfully big and high flalootin to me)-do I need this thing?

which of these if any would do the trick, do ya think?

sorry for the double post...but fyi...the improved method does not work well with vonage,,,,it keeps cutting out,,,so i have reverted back for the moment.

There will probably be configuration changes to be made and, as I said, this is an advanced connection type and you would be best to find a single device to suit your needs.

I would contact Vonage to see if they have a suitable wireless router or buy a usb/ethernet adaptor, use a wired connection and ditch the Belkin.

Igorian said:
There will probably be configuration changes to be made and, as I said, this is an advanced connection type and you would be best to find a single device to suit your needs.

I would contact Vonage to see if they have a suitable wireless router or buy a usb/ethernet adaptor, use a wired connection and ditch the Belkin.

ok

thank you for taking the time to reply back. You have taught me something...so it wasnt in vain. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back