Penetrating damp through firewall cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this forum and am hoping you can help. I am weighing up the options I have around a leaky roof/firewall with penetrating damp effecting the loft and back bedroom of my house an end terrace. (built in the 1880s). I'm by the seaside and the area of concern is attacked by westerlies.

Up on the roof I have cracked render on the chimney stack and firewall with the adjacent property. Several Bodgit & Sons jobs have been attempted by the previous owners including things like lobbing sealent/mastik in the cracks and then painting over with Acrypol. Lobbing sand and cement mortar on in patches and covering in Acrypol etc...

I've had a couple of roofers up but they focus on redoing the lead work (which looks fine and serviceable e.g. no pealed flashing all overlapping the right way, but then not necessarily perfect to me) and won't touch the firewall rendering / repairs, which need doing separate (and are in my limited opinion far more important). So I am looking at my options.

1) Get the cracks in the firewall and stack repaired. Pull out all the bodge crap that's in the cracks, widening, stablising and fill with something like Murex then overpaint in 2 thick coats of Acrypol/similar.

2) Get the entire thing re-rendered £££. Will renders go on top of Acrypol or does that need hacking off first. Paint in Acrypol/similar afterwards.

3) Same as 2 but no Acrypol/similar and get an acrylic render finish instead £££.

4) Do one of the above and get the lead flashing done (£££ £1000+ just for lead) as well (can't necessarily see why TBH as does look fine but then I'm not a roofer) as I am convinced it is large gashes & cracks in the firewall that are to blame.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back