Roof Coping Stones - Damp Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a roofer inspect my roof as water the walls appeared to be getting damp from the top down.

After taking back the lead flashing it is apparent in places the breeze blocks are wet in places. I can only deduce that the copy stones have become porous and letting in water to then come down through the wall (non cavity).

Photo of Roof and coping:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/321382_10151405358598162_1096821477_n.jpg

I have been told of two options.

1. remove the coping and replace we new ones and put in a DPC as there doesn't appear to be one.

2. paint the existing coping with some Acrypol or similar.

The first option is difficult because of access to the roof and would require scaffolding. The second is easily done by myself I think.

My question is how effective is this Acrypol stuff and how long can I expect it to last for?

Sponsored Links
Option 3....fix sheet lead to coping.

Acrypol will be a temp fix.

Wouldn't the correct way be to remove the coping stones, lead underneath and down, and then replacing the stones?
I have seen them covered with Flashband though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You said you had access problems! my method can be done accessing via a cat ladder without removing the stones.

And is not unpleasant looking if done properly.

Either that erect a scaffold,remove the stones and install a dpc.

You said you had access problems! my method can be done accessing via a cat ladder without removing the stones.

And is not unpleasant looking if done properly.

Either that erect a scaffold,remove the stones and install a dpc.

Fair points.

Does anybody know a useful online guide / best practice to fitting lead over coping stones per chance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back