Browser problem

Igorian said:
What firewall software do you have installed?
I normally run Zone alarm but have not yet updated the driver for 64 bit Athlon so am currently running Windows firewall with default settings. Anti virus software is AVG.

BUT I have tried logging on with both firewall & anti virus disabled & it makes no difference!

Sponsored Links
Ok, finally, can you repeat all the tests (on both port 80 and 110), but using bowgen.co.uk in place of yahoo.co.uk.

Right then, here we go, slightly different results this time

Typing: “telnet bowgen.co.uk 80” at the command prompt gives the following;

BROWSER ON LINE:

Blue address bar at top shows:

Telnet bowgen.co.uk

Prompt shows:

Just blinking cursor

AFTER BROWSER DROP OUT:

C:\WINDOWS\syatem32\cmd.exe

Prompt shows:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Connection To bowgen.co.uk… Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: connect failed

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard>

______________________000000000000000_______________________

Typing: “telnet bowgen.co.uk 110” at the command prompt gives the following;

BROWSER ON LINE:

Telnet bowgen.co.uk

Prompt shows:

+OK bowgen.co.uk ArGoSoft Mail Server Pro for WinNT/2000/XP. Version 1.8.8.8>

Then after 20 - 60 seconds (varies) ---- the display shows

Connection to host lost.

Repeating the above gives the same result each time; ie initially connects & then drops out - BUT THE BROWSER REMAINS ON LINE

AFTER BROWSER DROP OUT:

Gives identical to the above & repeating the command gives the same result each time; ie initially connects & then drops out - but, obviously the browser is now off line!

--------------------------0000-----------------------------
For my understanding, can you give me some idea of what I am actually doing here?

Telnet, is basically a protocol for providing a simple communication method between a client and server.

What I have asked you to do is to attempt a connection to bowgen.co.uk, which is my server, on port 80, which is the default http port used by browsers. I also asked you to repeat the command using port 110, which is the default port for POP email. Both ports are open on my system, and I would expect you to be able to establish the initial connection using the telnet command.

The result of the last test shows that you can initially connect on port 80, but then, for some yet unknown reason, you can't. The test also shows that you can connect using port 110, even when your connection appears to have dropped.

It could suggest that some kind of firewall is becoming active and blocking the port. It could also be a damaged networking component or a trojen/virus.

You say that there is no firewall installed/enabled, so I can only assume some kind of damage to the TCP stack. You could try uninstalling the TCP protocol and then re-installing it. You might also want to try the winsock fix, although I normally only use this if networking has totally failed. Before doing either, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. This will clear any junk from the DNS cache.

Sponsored Links
Hi Igorian
Thanks for the explanation; I don’t have much experience of networks so this is all new for me but I’m following the logic OK. I have a daily anti-virus scan scheduled & this has not picked up any Trojen (I’ve had a couple of them on other PC’s) & the database was updated only yesterday.

I did try to install Zone Alarm initially, just after I installed the OS & got the almighty blue screen crash. Apparently a patch is needed to allow Zone Alarm to run on a 64 bit CPU so, to save time, I uninstalled Zone alarm & reverted to Windows standard firewall. Unfortunately, Zone Alarm would not uninstall properly & I had to delete the left over files manually; I did not, however, check or clean the registry! You don’t suppose there is some stuff left in there that’s causing the problem do you?

I’ll look into the things you’ve suggested & report back on what happens; thanks so much for your interest, time & patience it’s really appreciated; I WILL get to the bottom of this is it kills me!

I would be tempted to suspect that the incomplete uninstall of zone alarm is an issue. Did you take a restore point before installing it?

Try the winsock fix. It should repair the appropriate registry keys. Failing that, and in the absence of a restore point, it might be quicker to rebuild the O/S and take restore points as you install new software.

Hi igorian
The problem has now been resolved. I had created restore points from day 1 but, as usual, the ones that mattered would not roll back (they never seem to!). The flush DNS wouldn’t work either, just returned an error message. All along I was thinking it was something to do with settings but then I remembered the problem I had with Zone Alarm & after you’re last comments, decided in all probability it was corruption of the registry causing the problem. I had no backup of the original registry so the easiest solution seemed to be fresh install. I now have to re-install all the software & update the drivers again but at least it’s working OK now. Thanks again for your interest & help, I’ve learned a lot over the last couple of days.

My message to others is be very careful if you want to run Zone alarm on a 64 bit CPU, you could end up screwing your whole installation as I did!

Doc Lenny said:
Richard C said:
I remembered the problem I had with Zone Alarm

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hope it behaves itself now!! :LOL:

The new box is now running perfectly, but it's a pain having to load everything back in again! I’m just a little peeved it that it didn’t occur to me earlier that it could be associated with the uninstall problem I had with the fire wall.

I have also got my “Drive Image” installation CD to run again after a bit of a polish with ‘T cut’ so I’ll be keeping a current image as well as a copy of the registry; System Restore always seems very flaky to me, never working when you really need it. Thanks again for your help initially.

Richard C said:
...I uninstalled Zone alarm & reverted to Windows standard firewall. Unfortunately, Zone Alarm would not uninstall properly & I had to delete the left over files manually
I wish I'd noticed this topic sooner.

I've come to hate ZoneAlarm, as it can be responsible for many hideous networking ills. If you install it and "disable" it then isn't actually disabled, it just doesn't work.

In fact, I detest all firewall software running locally on the machine, because it removes the ability to use that machine to diagnose anything with any certainty.

Sponsored Links
Back