slow start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just switched to BT broadband and Norton is included as part of the package.

On start up the pc is now incredibly slow and the we browser keeps locking up . When I report the error it says that the Yahoo browser has caused it and to download a later version.

No newer version seems to be available.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the start up process and what can I do to stop the web browser crashing every few minutes.

I spoke to BT whose answer was that it is a conflict with ie on my system and I should go back to internet explorer 6

Sponsored Links
I would uninstall Norton personally!

It is a big, resource hogging program with lots of little bits going on that you can't see. Apps load at startup (slowing boot time), bits will run while you are using your internet connection (slowing surfing speed) and it will probably be scanning everything coming onto your pc (websites, webimages, webcode).

What anti virus software were you using before because it sounds like it was either non existant or a lot better than the Norton bloatware you are running now?!

If you would like to get rid of Norton I would recommend:

Avast or AVG for your Antivirus program - these are both FREE!

Spybot Search and Destroy for your Spyware detection - also FREE!

and I would see if the router that came with your BT Broadband package has a built in firewall, rather than using a software based firewall.

These are my own personal recommendations but you find that people stick with what they know! If there is anything you don't understand, reply with any queries you may have and I will try and help you further.

Regards

It would also help to know a little .more about your machine and software

Sponsored Links
I also use bt broadband, and would suggest the following....

1) Uninstall norton through the control panel, then use this link to remove any traces left.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

2) Reinstall your bt package but leave out norton.

3) Install another anti-virus program such as ....AVG , Kaspersky or Nod 32 all of which are very good , and will not hog your resources as Norton does.

I use Kaspersky and it does not affect the speed of my machine.

thanks for the replies will give it a try. The router has built in firewall and I already have spybot so will try one of the free antivirus programs

thanks again

Back