Browser problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just built new box based on Athlon 3800 64, running XP SP2 (32 bit version). The new machine is running fine except;
my BT Yahoo browser continually drops out after about 6 minutes & I get the usual error page “Server unavailable etc”. The Speedtouch 330 modem remains on line & I can continue to send & receive E’s via Outlook Express so it’s not the modem but all attempts to log back onto Yahoo browser fail (same error page): I even tried using the Fireox browser but that didn’t work either. If I re-boot, I can log on for another 6 minutes or so before the whole fiasco starts over again. If I re-boot & don’t sign in for 10 minutes, the BT Yahoo sign in screen returns the message “Sorry the attempt to log in failed”; really helpfull! So it seems time related from boot in some way.

I’ve checked my internet, browser & connection settings & they look OK (mostly default). I’ve tried logging on with both firewall & anti-virus disabled without success. I’ve also been right through the Yahoo on line desktop test & fault find programme & everything reports back OK. I’ve also tried the Yahoo on-line real time help facility but this proved to be better than useless & when they realised it was getting difficult, just terminated the session without any explanation. I’ve also contacted BT without any response yet; short of changing my ISP, I really don’t know what to try next!

I sometimes get the error message; The instruction at “ox4b61d723” referenced memory at “ox4b61d723”. The memory could not be “read”. Click OK to terminate the programme. ---- But I’ve got absolutely no idea what this is trying to tell me. My old 32 bit machine is still running alongside (same OS installation) & this logs on & maintains the browser connection perfectly so it’s obviously something to do with the new box but it’s certainly got me stuffed! Is it anything to do with the 64 bit processor or a possible driver problem? I like a challenge but after a week of trying to sort this out, I’m still running my old machine on liner & it’s getting a bit of a bore; help please if you can!

Sponsored Links
Have you just installed your modem and the BT Yahoo browser, because the hub has to keep "re-synching" every now and again during the first 10 days of use so that it can find the optimum speed your line can take.

Have you run any tests on your memory...?

If you are sure it is not the above, have you searched the Microsoft knowledge base, to see if there is a fix for your memory problem...?, which may help to fix things.

Have you reinstalled the BT browser software...?

Hi trazor, thanks for the response.
The modem (a Speedtouch 330) is about 4 years old & was (& still is!) running perfectly happy on the old box. Both machines are running the latest downloaded version of Yahoo Browser & when the server drops me out on the new box, I can still send & receive E’s using Outlook Express but have to re-boot before I can log back into Yahoo Browser; I have tried re-installing & it makes no difference. My line is only running at 1.1Mbps as we are rural but it’s supposed to be increasing to 2Mbps at some time. Do you think it could be modem related even though it stays on line? & why only on the 64 bit machine? I will see if I can borrow another modem from a neighbour & give that a try.

I believe the “referenced memory” error displayed when Yahoo gives up the ghost is something to do with a Yahoo referenced instruction & not related to the physical memory (a new 1 GB Crucial stick). I will investigate this but it displays the full 1 GB after initial POST health check & running other software has not indicated any suspicions around the memory.

I have also looked in the Microsoft knowledge base but several searches using different criteria drew a blank. I have built quiet a few boxes & have been messing with PC’s for many years & always managed to get myself out of problems that have arisen but this one has me beat so far! Any more thoughts anyone?

Hi Richard

Can you get to a website by typing in the ip address rather than the name when it seems you can't get on the internet e.g. http://212.58.224.131

Does firefox connect at all when you installed it?

Can you ping an IP address from the command prompt or a ping a web address?

Sponsored Links
Hi doc
Only just got your reply as I’ve been working on the other box all day & am still no closer to finding a cure. I haven’t tried using the IP address directly, I will have to start up the other PC again to try it; for my info can you explain the reasoning why you think this could work?
I’ve already tried Firefox, didn’t make any difference the browser still dropped out.
Haven’t tried pinging; I know what it is but am not entirely sure how to do it; can you give a quick idiots guide?

Here’s an update on what I’ve tried today:
Borrowed my neighbour’s much later Voyager 210 modem, uninstalled my Speedtouch 330 & drivers etc. & installed that – tried it twice but no difference!

I tried using a different filter, disconnecting all the other filters & connecting the PC direct to the master BT socket – no difference.

Uninstalled all the network adaptors (including the modem) in device manager, re-booted & reinstalled – no difference.

Satisfied it’s not a modem problem, I returned my neighbours Voyager & re-installed the Speedtouch – no difference.

What really doesn't make any sense to me is both modems stay on line throughout all this & I can still send & receive E mails; it's just the Yahoo browser that decides it doesn't like me after a while & cuts me dead! Hmmmmm!

Richard

Thought you might be having a dns problem originally.

To ping a web address or ip address.

Click Start > Run > type: cmd >press enter

At the command prompt type: ping 212.58.224.131 or ping www.bbc.co.uk

Can you detail the differences in setup when connecting to the internet between the two PC's.

Doc
I only have one modem & screen but the setup on both PC’s is identical, both O/S are fresh installs (done about a week ago), XP Pro running SP2. Installation of the modem driver & BT Yahoo software was identical in both cases & the desktop Icons are identical on both PC’s. After install, I downloaded the latest help files & browser software; clicking the BT internet desktop logo brings up the same sign on screen in each case, both machines will sign onto the Browser initially & both will surf around identically (except the new box is much faster!); the only difference between them is that the browser on the new box drops out after 6 minutes or so & I can no longer sign in without re-booting; then off we go again for another few minutes!

I have also checked the Network properties & settings time & again for anything obvious & they both look identical but I can’t make any side by side comparisons as I only have the one screen! I have also tried re-installing SP2 as I’ve had a problem with that in the past but no luck. I may try re-installing the OS but am reluctant to do this with out an image to revert to as I will then have re-install everything else.

Thanks for the ping brief, will boot the new box & try it + try using the IP address only when the browser drops me to see what happens. I’ve also got a new modem driver to try but I’m not hopeful as the neighbours much newer Voyager modem didn’t work either! Thanks again for your interest, any further ideas gratefully received.

Doc Lenny said:
Hi Richard

Can you get to a website by typing in the ip address rather than the name when it seems you can't get on the internet e.g. http://212.58.224.131

Does firefox connect at all when you installed it?

Can you ping an IP address from the command prompt or a ping a web address?
Loaded then new Speedtouch driver, no help as suspected.

Waited for the browser to drop out & tried typing in the IP address directly rather than use bookmarks; no help just displays page not available as before

I then tried pinging both the web & IP addresses you gave & form the information returned it seemed to be working OK with no loss of packets sent/received with an average round trip time of 15ms. So, I guess this is confirming I don’t have a problem with the modem! But where do I go from here? Any further help greatly appreciated.

To crown it all my Drive Image software CD has decided to throw a wobbly & won’t install!

Richard

Guess BT have not got back to you then??

If the 2 PC's have all the same setting etc.. then I am clutching at straws!

In Device Manager, under USB controllers, Right Click over the USB root Hub and select properties, select Power Management and uncheck (Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.)

Worth a bash just to rule it out. ;)

Some input from Iggy or Softus is your next step!!

Naa, fat chance; as far as straw clutching goes, you & me both mate!

I did a check in event viewer & noticed there are a couple of warning codes that are cropping up very regularly in both system & application events but at the moment I have no idea how to tell if these are significant or if they are the giving an indication of what’s wrong!

I’ll give the USB root hub power save thing a try & check for any conflicts while I’m in there; meantime I’d better get on with the plastering I was supposed to have done yesterday!

Ok, can you try this please.

Logon to the Internet.

While you are "connected", open a command prompt and type telnet yahoo.co.uk 80

Repeat the above when the connection "drops".

Post the results.

Hi Igorian, thanks for showing an interest.

Typing: “telnet yahoo.co.uk 80” at the command prompt gives the following;

BROWSER ON LINE:

Blue address bar at top shows:

Telnet yahoo.co.uk

Prompt shows just a blank screen with a blinking cursor---- typing just gives dashes!

AFTER BROWSER DROP OUT:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

Prompt shows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard>telnet yahoo.co.uk 80

Connecting to yahoo.co.uk…Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: connect failed

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard>

-------------------------0000-------------------------
Looking forward to an explanation of what we have just discovered!

Igorian said:
Ok, can you try this please.

Logon to the Internet.

While you are "connected", open a command prompt and type telnet yahoo.co.uk 80

Repeat the above when the connection "drops".

Post the results.

Ok, now repeat the above, but replace the 80 with 110 in both tests. Post the results.

Igorian said:
Ok, now repeat the above, but replace the 80 with 110 in both tests. Post the results.
Typing: “telnet yahoo.co.uk 110” at the command prompt gives the following;

BROWSER ON LINE:

C:\WINDOWS\syatem32\cmd.exe

Prompt initially shows:
Connecting to yahoo.co.uk…

Then after about 10 seconds ...

Could not open connection to the host, on port 110: connect failed

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard>

AFTER BROWSER DROP OUT:

Display is identical to above!

Sponsored Links