IE8 Browser not working with BTYahoo login?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IR8 default browser will not login on BTYahoo for mail access. IE8 recently installed, upgraded from IE7, works fine with all other internet activity. Works for login to BT online billing, but not for accessing mail. Message on BTYahoo page is "The browser you're using refuses to sign-in. (cookies rejected)".

BT tech support checked cookie settings, browser settings, all ok. BT had no answer, their solution was to install Firefox. Firefox works for logging into BtYAHOO. I don't want Firefox and wish to continue to use IE8. I still have IE8 as my default browser and continue to use it for all internet activity accept for logging into BTYahoo.

Anyone have any suggestsions/solutions as to what is causing this problem, and how to turn it around?
Thanks
sagleo

Sponsored Links
I use IE8 with Yahoo, no problem on Vista or XP professional so it must be something you have loaded in your machine.

Hi kevindgas
Thanks for response, may I ask what cookie settings you have, we are at our wits end trying to solve this problem.
sagleo

you can ask :LOL:
wouldn't know as i'm a gas/electric installer who knows jack about computers beyond it works / it doesn't work, buy a new one that does!!

Sponsored Links
Try this.
Open IE -> Tools -> Options -> in the General Tab, Browsing History click Delete.
Tick all boxes except the Preserve Favourites dat, click Delete.

Then try to connect again.

Alternatively, uninstall IE8 and you will automatically go back to IE7.

If the 'experts' at BT Tech Support don't have an answer, god help the rest of us.

dave

By the way my Yahoo Canada email works in IE8.

Hello dave.m

Thanks for your response. Followed the steps as you suggested but must report this did not change the situation!

However, I would like to share with you and with anyone else who may read this...perhaps there is a light at the end of tunnel. Just 20 minutes ago I received a call from a UK based technical support team member!
The call came as a result of an email I directed just this afternoon to the Mr. Ian Livingston, CEO of BT!

Th gentleman I spoke with said they are going to duplicate the set in the technical support department with a laptop, windows XP home edition and IE8. Took our login particulars and he will be calling us back tomorrow.

Like yourself, dav.m, I too have thought "god help us if BT cannot come up with an answer". I tell you, it has been one helluva week for me talking to various "offshore" techinical people. They are very mannerly, but believe me everything does indeed get lost in translation as the saying goes. To actually speak to a UK based person was great.

Thanks dav.m for taking the time to respond. I will post an update hopefully tomorrow with BT's outcome and solution.
sagleo

Hi everyone,
A posting just to follow up in case anyone is inerested. BT followed through with contact from a UK based technician who sorted the problem of my not being able to login to my mail account with IE8.

Technician was professional, efficient and by remote access checked all our settings. Overall nothing untoward was found neither with the BT sign in system nor our computer settings.

However, by clicking on Tools, Internet Options, click on Privacy tab, click on button marked "sites" brings you to a dialog box called "Per Site Privacy Actions". A box showed a list of managed websites. Listed in there was BTYahoo "Always Block"! Any entries on this list can be removed or checked off to "Always Allow". Neither the technician nor I knew how this entry came to be on this list. We have Symantec/Norton installed as our security programme and the technician checked all the settings for this and still was unable to determine how this had happened!

BTYahoo is now off the list and login to my mail account is fine. Now and again I plan to check out this listing and review it to make sure that no other sites I want to access have somehow been included.

BT technician did not have the definitive answer, but I must say he was most professional, efficient, took his time explaining various settings and overall a pleasant fellow and it was a positive experience. Pity BT does not offer the availability of UK based technician all of the time. I know they offer a UK based tech support, but for a charge, which is unaffordable for me.
Cheers everyone :D sagleo

Back