Default Browser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 6 months ago I ditched Internet Explorer in favour of Mozilla Firefox which I hugely prefer (quicker, more secure etc etc).

I have several desktop shortcuts to my favoutite sites (DIYnot, eBay, and a good few more) which previously opened in Firefox no problem.

However, I have changed my ISP to BTYahoo Broadband which came bundled with it's own personalised version of explorer. Lovely, but I don't want to use it. Unfortunately, it doesn't agree and has hijacked all my shortcuts, eg they now open in the new IE browser.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have been into the options in Firefox and chosen to "set as default browser" with no joy. I have tried opening the sites in Firefox and then dragging a new icon from the address bar to the desktop, but then the next time i launch them they open in IE.

The only time a site will open directly into Firefox is when I click on a link in my email (Thunderbird). So otherwise I now have to launch Firefox and type the address in manually.

How can I regain control of my desktop shortcuts?

Sponsored Links
I don't use the CDs to setup the broadband access, but I would have thought you could have opted not to install IE. I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox.

I've tried to copy your problem (copied an old favourite from IE to the desktop). clicking on it, it opened in firefox (while that program was already open).
The icon of the favourite did have the IE icon.

Not sure if this will work: start IE, make it your default browser. Then open firefox and make that your default browser again?

P.S. where can I find the folder bookmarks in Firefox (morzila)?? The IE favourites are in windows, but can't seem to find the proper foldername for Firefox.

This is where the stuff is stored

* On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.

* On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

* On Linux, the path is usually ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/

* On Mac OS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/
Where are my bookmarks, passwords and other personal information saved?

Firefox stores your personal settings, such as the bookmarks, cache and web form data, in a profile folder. See the next frequently asked question for more information on how to manage the profiles.
How do I start the Profile Manager?

The Profile Manager is used to manage multiple profiles. To start the Profile Manager, follow the steps in the Manage Profiles How-To.
How do I move my profile or restore a backed up copy?

It's possible to move the location of a profile folder. This could be useful if you have a backed up profile folder somewhere on your hard drive and want to tell Firefox to use that as your profile. Read about moving an existing profile or restore a backed up profile for detailed instructions.
;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers Pip, found it as an html file.
(I'm so used to seeing files filed in the 'windhose' style that 'new' things tend to put me on the wrong footing).

ninebob said:
About 6 months ago I ditched Internet Explorer in favour of Mozilla Firefox which I hugely prefer (quicker, more secure etc etc).

I have several desktop shortcuts to my favoutite sites (DIYnot, eBay, and a good few more) which previously opened in Firefox no problem.

However, I have changed my ISP to BTYahoo Broadband which came bundled with it's own personalised version of explorer. Lovely, but I don't want to use it. Unfortunately, it doesn't agree and has hijacked all my shortcuts, eg they now open in the new IE browser.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have been into the options in Firefox and chosen to "set as default browser" with no joy. I have tried opening the sites in Firefox and then dragging a new icon from the address bar to the desktop, but then the next time i launch them they open in IE.

The only time a site will open directly into Firefox is when I click on a link in my email (Thunderbird). So otherwise I now have to launch Firefox and type the address in manually.

How can I regain control of my desktop shortcuts?

Copy and paste using keys hold ctrl key down press key c to copy highlighted text etc, place cursor where required and hold ctrl key down again and press key v .. this should paste the data in. Don't need to type in url's or anything else if it is available to copy... ;)

How do I set another browser as my default after the BT Yahoo! Browser is installed?

After you have installed the BT Yahoo! service, the BT Yahoo! Browser will be set as your default browser.
If you do not want the BT Yahoo! Browser as the default, you can reset your other browser as the default through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
To do so, follow these steps:
Click on "Control Panel."
Select "Internet Options."
Select "Programs" tab.
Click on "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser."
Click "OK."
I can only guess if IE CHECKS to see if it is the default browser -- and one has set FF to be the default then IE doesn't run ???
I think M$ updates do not work via Browsers other than IE .. ?
P

Right, have now tried ALL of the above including the freeware utility, and sadly no joy. Even un-and-re-installed Firefox.

The BT Yahoo browser (basically a customised IE) just will not let go of my desktop shortcuts. Any more suggestions?

Don't use desktop shortcuts ... Use 'bookmarks' or 'Favourites'

Operatics.jpg

Using Opera we have the above 'tick boxes' :D

--------------
I cannot find anything better than this :-
Mozilla Firefox 1.x:
Select ""Tools | Options"" from the main menu in Firefox.
Change to the ""General"" tab/section.
Check the ""Firefox should check to see if it is the default browser when starting"" option.
Click ""OK"".
Close all Firefox windows (for best results, restart the system). Finally, restart Firefox.
When the ""Would you like to make [Firefox] your default browser?"" prompt appears, click ""Yes"" to make Firefox the default browser.
Have not tried it tho'

Taking for granted, in BTYahoo browser, under <Settings>, : <Browser options> : You have 'unticked' the 'always check...' question ? If not, do that, then tick for FF to 'always check...' .. Reboot, opening FF should get the prompt for setting 'default browser' ..... Not holding breath tho' !!
SetBrowsOpts.jpg

;)

Tried all of that and am now giving up and deleting my desktop icons for sites.

Never used bookmarks before but have just set a few up and it does seem to be a good solution.

Have the feeling that BT-Yahoo browser may install itself as default, per boot up, not sure really.... Bookmarks with folders etc are pretty neat .. Until you have loads and loads
Use of, for example, 'Hijack This' shows the enormous amount of registry bumf which BT-Yahoo browser brings with it....
:cry:

I had BT browser install itself as default a few months ago, but as I remember it was very simple to change that back to IE again and then again later when I started using Firefox to make this the default browser.

Bookmarks in Firefox are very handy, you can even position bookmarkfolders in the menubar. Plus the drag and drop function to the folders is very handy.

Sponsored Links
Back