changing default browser TO IE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I dont know if this is possible on my system, but here goes.

At work, we have 2 browsers, IE and firefox, origionally firefox was the browser of choice, and the default, however, this being a school, firefox had some loopholes in it that werent compatible with the safe surf system in place, and was allowing innapropriate content through.

now the only browser that will work is IE, but all the defaults are firefox, I have tried the settings, check for default in IE, but it dissapears every time i try it.

Can i do this another way, or will I have to find an IT tech to do it for me?

Sponsored Links
In Firefox go to Tools, Options, Main and untick the box check if Firefox is the default browser.
Then open IE and it will - IMHO - ask to make it the default browser. If that doesn't happen got to IE, Tools, Internet Option, programs and click the button: make IE the default browser.

Hi, tried that, the tick box remains unticked in firefox, but not in IE, and no IE prompt to be default.

this is getting fustrating, as we have web pages saved for us for various net based apps, but i have to drag them into IE to open them, rather than a click from the desktop.

Re install IE, it should ask to make it the default browser then.

Sponsored Links
I actually run both Firefox and Internet Explorer - although Firefox is my default. I keep IE because there's the odd site that doesn't work with FF.

If you don't intend using FF again, then just uninstall it and your defaults should all go back to IE.

I can't remember where to find this on XP but on Vista it is on the start button list above the shut down button.

There is a settings page called "Default programs." Change internet browsing to IE in there and it should be fine - its easy to do!!

In XP it was accessible through the start menu but I can't remember how, use help and search for it.

HTH

Superspec is right, in XP you need to go to Control panel - Add Remove Pragrams then on the left hand side select "Set program access & defaults" then expand the custom option, Choose a deafult web browser and make sure IE is selected (don't use the 'use my current web browser' option)

If this dosn't work from what you've said you may have policies set on your laptop that one of you administrators or IT tech's would have to change.

Sponsored Links
Back