have to log in everytime (recent problem)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i now have to log in everytime i change pages
yet i have keep history for 2 days set in internet options
this has only recently started to happen but has got to the point where i am looking at this site then i go and check my email boxes (virgin/yahoo) or check ebay
i then come back here in a few minutes and then have to log in all over again
any ideas on what is set wrong? i have not changed anything
running windows XP professional
broadband via ADSL 4 way modem on a filtered BT line (other computer is not affected)

Sponsored Links
Kevin,

1st thing to do is clear out all your temporary files, tool of choice is ATF Cleaner, it is free and you do not have to install it. Download and instructions here (Windows XP, 2K, 2003 & Vista ONLY)
* NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.

-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected - > OK

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:

* Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
* Click the Empty Selected button.

Post back
dave

nope it hasn't solved the issue
computer has been on all evening and i have just had to log in again!!
history set to 2 days!

Sponsored Links
What browser do you use, Internet Explorer or Firefox, or another.

Your security settings in the browser have not been set at High have they, because that will block cookies and you need them to let you stay signed in.

If Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Options -> Security,
the slider should be set at Medium.

Then in the General Tab, under browsing history, tick Delete browsing history on exit, then click Delete.
In the window that pops up ensure that this is ticked:
Preserve Favourites website data.
Then tick all the items in the Delete list EXCEPT Cookies and Passwords.

Close IE and then reopen it and come to this site, log on and tick the Remember me box.

Close IE and reopen and come back to this site, you should be logged in.

dave

done what you said but i still have the problem.
when you tick all the boxes ex cookies passwords
the only option available are delete or cancel !
is this right?

Hi Kev,
Yes when you get that far just click Delete.

As that is not working, untick the Delete Browsing history on exit, then go back to that pane and untick all except the 'Preserve Favourites Data' box, then click Cancel and Apply and OK.
Then come to this site and log on again and close the browser and open it and come back onto here.

Is it just this site that you keep having to log onto or are there others too?
dave

If no one else has access to your computer, I can well imagine your frustration at having to log in everytime you visit but,,, If others have access to your computer then it's no bad thing really. Would you want someone else posting on here in your name??

dave will do that and report back, thanks

it is every site not just diynot

john only the wife and i use the computer
nipper has the other computer which is unaffected.

done all the above and still have to log in even when i come back within 10seconds
god i hate computers!!!!!!!!

Which version of IE do you have. If not IE8 then update to it first.
If you have IE8, try resetting it by Tools -> options -> Advanced Tab, and in the Rest IE Settings, click the Reset Button then OK.
Restart IE and you may find the Menu Bar is hidden, if so just right click near the top of the screen on one of the toolbars that are showing and tick Menu Bar.

You could also try Firefox to see if the situation is the same, I am not saying change to Firefox but if you download it and try using it, it will give us an idea as to whether the log on problem is with IE or your operating system (XP).

Download Firefox from:
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

I have Googled "Cannot stay logged on using IE" and there are pages of problems with it but no definitive solution, just random ones that worked for one person but no one else.

dave

yes on IE8
have done the above and the result is that i can change pages now but still have to log in if i close internet
so 1 step in the right direction!!

So it looks like the browser is clearing cookies.

Open IE -> Tools -> Options -> then in the General Tab, under browsing history, UNtick Delete browsing history on exit, then click Delete.
In the window that pops up ensure that this is ticked:
Preserve Favourites website data.
Then tick all the items in the Delete list EXCEPT Cookies and Passwords.
Click Delete.
Click Apply and OK.

Close IE and then reopen it and come to this site, log on and tick the Remember me box.

Close IE and reopen and come back to this site, you should be logged in.

Getting somewhere now, I hope.
dave

Sponsored Links
Back