Allowing Cookies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I registered to use a site recently, and then tried to log into it afterwards. It said I couldn't because my computer won't accept cookies. I checked my Internet Options>Privacy, and the cookies are set to medium (it's XP).

Should I change the cookies to a lower setting?

What are the risks in doing this?

Is there another way of using the web site without changing cookie settings?

Should I be clearing cookies regularly from my computer?

P. S. I'm not a computer expert!

Sponsored Links
XP myself. Don't know about cookies but my privacy set at medium and I've got cookies set to lowest setting - never had any problems though. Not very helpful I know but could it be something to do with firewall settings-clutching at straws here. Have a friend that's an wizard on PC's if I can get hold of him I'll ask.

somewhere you will be able to permit specific cookies from a specific site
does it say somthing like advanced settings??

somewhere you will be able to permit specific cookies from a specific site
does it say somthing like advanced settings??

Yes, this would be useful.

Yes, can find Tools>Internet Options>Advanced. Not sure what to do with this though.

Sponsored Links
try security as below instead off advance

security -trusted sites -choose

Whitespirit - spoke with my mate and no need to change any of your settings. If a site is not a registered safe site then you will receive an alert pop up across the top of your page asking you if you trust this site. If you type in yes then all will be ok. Hope this is helpful. :)

what was the site? Some are flagged as unsafe by Internet Security packages.

BTW I have set my cookies to always prompt and I only accept then from trustworthy sites. You do it it Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Advancved

You can tick to always accept or always reject from this site when you get the prompt, then you won't be asked again for the same site.

If you don't do this is is worth going to "my cookies" and taking a lot of them out. Norton Systemworks does this for me, except for the ones I tell it to ignore, such as banks and DITnot.

If you go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Sites you can specify in advance which sites you do/don't want to accept cookies from, but I find the prompt easier.

Back