router/modem won't let me see t'internet ?

You could try the upgrade. If you want my honest opinion, bin the Belkin.

Did you try Astra99's suggestion as a workaround?

Sponsored Links
I have just looked at the OP's router settings. I would have expected the
Encapsulation to be VC-MUX and the
Connection Type to be PPPoA.

Where the connection type or encapsulation is misconfigured, it can cause connection problems such as the OP is experiencing. My suggestion, if it is not readily available, is to download the router manual from Belkin's website and reconfigure the router with the necessary settings. To reconfigure the router does not require an internet connection, but, before you start, make sure you have the correct user name and password to log on to your ISP. This should have been sent to you when you originally signed up, and, as you have a USB modem, you may find it in the connection properties of the "dial-up" connection the USB modem uses - the user name anyway - hopefully you will have memorised your password!

Where it says DNS addresses, click the radio button on "use the following addresses" and in the first section type in 8.8.8.8 and the second 8.8.4.4.

All now done and guess what - PC is working through ADSL router :)

Does this help explain what is actualy faulty ?

Anyway, I will keep an eye on things and let you know how it goes after a re-boot (hopefully - not tomorrow) !

Thanks

Router and PC now re-booted and here I am !

I haven't yet tried my wifes laptop (she has now gone to bed - bless !) but I think this is the first time the PC and modem have worked straight from booting.

More info to follow

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have just looked at the OP's router settings. I would have expected the
Encapsulation to be VC-MUX and the
Connection Type to be PPPoA.

Yes, you are correct (I didn't read the post properly :oops: ). I would have expected the router to have auto detected.

Anyway, the router settings for TalkTalk (yuk), should be:

•Username: Your telephone [email protected], for example [email protected]*
•Password: Your TalkTalk broadband password*
•VPI: 0
•VCI: 38
•MTU: 1432
•DNS settings: Set to obtain automatically (or equivalent)
•Encapsulation: PPP over ATM (PPPoA) using VC-MUX
•Modulation Type: Auto

Try these, but set your PC back to auto settings as before.

As suggested, I have reset the PC and adjusted the router to PPoA VC-MUX.

Unfortunately everything is just as before: -
Pinging 209.85.. gets a result
Pinging Google.com doesn't

I currently have to access websites (such as DIYnot) through the USB modem.

I did notice when I had tried Astra99's workaround that while the internet did actualy work, I was still unable to access a lot of websites (like TalkTalk etc) and the computer (not the internet connection - 7Mbs) was very slow to load certain other webpages.

I use TalkTalk as my ISP, and in the past have had problems with their DNS servers. Thus, I use Google's servers, hard-wired into my network card properties. Currently TalkTalk are reporting 62.24.139.7 and 62.24.134.2 as DNS servers. When I use these, some websites are unobtainable. Thus, put back the original "workaround" as a permanent feature, and all will be well! Note that this will have to be done on each PC accessing the internet via your router.

edit: The slow response could have been due to LLC/PPPoE. Give it another whirl now.

TalkTalk's DNS servers can be a bit hit and miss. It is for that reason I hard-wire Google's. And it is not only Talk Talk that has DNS server problems. I have had DNS failures on BT broadband connections due to DHCP-assigned servers being offline!!!!!!

I have found TalkTalk's service (they are, after all, part of Opal Telecom) to be perfectly acceptable - provided that you don't need to resort to their telephone helpline. It seems to be located outside the UK and the support personnel can only read from a script. Anything apart from run-of-the-mill problems and they are stuffed!

Sounds like a great ISP :confused:

Not really by choice. We set up with Tiscali originaly, who were sold on to Toucan, who became Pipex, who have now been taken over by TalkTalk just in the last few weeks !

Oh, and I have re-booted the PC and router and am now back on USB !!!!

The router logs the Primary DNS Server as 212.139.132.41 and the secondary is the same except .42 Does that shed any light ?

PS I have now downloaded the Belkin Firmware Beta update (1.00.25) and my next try might actually be to install it !

PS I have now downloaded the Belkin Firmware Beta update (1.00.25) and my next try might actually be to install it !

Actually, I have reset Astra99's workaround as suggested for now. The PC is doing fine through the router and the previous unobtainable websites are now flashing-up :)

Can't try Wifes laptop yet as she has gone to bed (again) but doubt if I could change such settings without an administrator password anyway.

I have just tried to PING those two DNS addresses you gave without success. A TRACERT times out (probably) on the hop before the server's IP. However, NSLOOKUP does resolve the IP address to a hostname, which seems to be a DNS server, so I believe it is just a case of the servers are either themselves offline, or there is a problem with one of the servers/routers on the route. You obviously have access to your own router, so my suggestion would be to set the DNS addresses in the router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 That way, any PC connecting to your router will be assigned Google's DNS addresses via DHCP.

It's much more likely that they're simply inaccessible from outside the Tiscali network to prevent misconfigured machines from abusing them..

Sponsored Links
Back