VW Golf ABS+TC and Start/Stop MFI warnings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Golf Mk6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion 2010

For over 12 months the Start/Stop system hasn't worked regularly. Only indication until this last week has been the Start/Stop system warning indicator on MFI when I expected it to be on. Put that down to age of Battery as it is the one fitted on the factory.

7 days ago on starting the car the ABS & TC (amber) warning lights came on with the Brake (red) flashing warning light. Had the car computer interrogated to see that have 2 alarm codes displayed relating to the ABS pump failure. But now on start up I see MFI alarm indications for ABS system problem (Service Needed) followed by Start/Stop system failure.

My question is could these 2 fault indications be related? Does the Stat/Stop system work through the ABS control system?

Sponsored Links
Battery is the most common thing for stop/start not working. A lot of cars rely on a good battery for the electrics. My Evoque used to show all sorts of weird messages on startup - gearbox, traction control etc etc and that was all down to the battery being on the way out. How old is the battery on your car?

Edit: Just re-read your post. Original battery? Get it changed.

I believe these will be the same cause. I also believe this may be a common problem if it relates to the pressure sensor in the ABS pump. You will need to get the codes read but you may find it comes back with "G201 pressure sensor failure", Could you also get it checked if it is a MK60 type pump? If it is I believe the pump can be repaired rather than replaced.

Battery is the most common thing for stop/start not working. A lot of cars rely on a good battery for the electrics. My Evoque used to show all sorts of weird messages on startup and that was all down to the battery. How old is the battery on your car?

Edit: just re read your post. Original battery? Get it changed.
Thank you Mottie. But is not really answering my question, Im waiting for the battery to show actual starting problems. What my question is (obviously didn't make it 100% clear) is that the Start/Stop not working warning on the MFI (Information) display has only started at the same time as the ABS/TC system warning has started appearing.

Sponsored Links
I had no starting problems on my car. A new battery cured my electrical errors. I think it was around 6 years old. FWIW, I wouldn’t even consider going into winter with a 10 year old battery on my car even if I was having no problems at all.

I believe these will be the same cause. I also believe this may be a common problem if it relates to the pressure sensor in the ABS pump. You will need to get the codes read but you may find it comes back with "G201 pressure sensor failure", Could you also get it checked if it is a MK60 type pump? If it is I believe the pump can be repaired rather than replaced.
Thanks. Your answer is agreeing with my (hopeful) thinking. The car computer warnings is pointing at the ABS pump. Just want to get some confidence that the right part of the car electronics and systems is removed and delivered to a refurbishing company.

Make sure you get the codes read before condemning the pump though, as Mottie said, the battery can play havoc with modern electrics. Also kind of weird but VW did a free repair to some of these pumps back in the day even though they were long out of warranty so check with VW once you have confirmed the pump.

Looks like a faulty brake pad wear sensor, took it to local mechanic..pads are all fine, meaty..brake fluid reservoir full...said I need a brake pad sensor but can't seem to find one...

Looks like a faulty brake pad wear sensor, took it to local mechanic..pads are all fine, meaty..brake fluid reservoir full...said I need a brake pad sensor but can't seem to find one...
I’m confused. Are you also wgt52?

Car back today!
Car Mech removed the ABS pump and electronics - I took it all Heanor. Impressed with the refurb company - workshops very clean and visible from front desk.
They kept me fully informed of the units progress through the workshop and the testing they did.
Looks like the Start/Stop function does work through the Brake ABS system.
Fixed price repair and transport back - £260.
Car Mech the most difficult bit to putting the unit back was the bleeding the system - he had to go round it twice with car powered up (and possibly engine running).
No alarms!
Unit now has one owner lifetime warranty - I'm not aiming to sell the car!

Sponsored Links
Back