vw golf mk3 1.4l 4 speed 1993

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have mk3 golf 1391 cc 4 speed model. I am having some problems now- it has done 97 k miles. It gives a grating sound when on any gears except neutral, when running, increases with acceleration, more so with lower gears(1st,second...) as the car picks up speed, it seems to be less or may be because of the road noise, I am not hearing it as much as in slow movement! Also in neutral gear when I release the clutch there is a bit of vibration of the engine that I can feel on the gear stick or judder. disappears when pressing the clutch.
is it a worn pressure plate or faulty bearing the in clutch. please help? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the gearbox oil?
May just be a noisy thrust bearing as you say. Not sure what gearbox is in that, but alot of them you can change the thrust bearing without taking the gearbox out.
Place to find out for sure is clubgti (you'll have to google it or add the www and dot com bit to it coz you're not allowed to paste links in ere!)

thanks
The number on the gearbox is 084 301 103 H and another number 6.
Where can I find the filler hole.

regards
ben

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the replies. The gearbox, I think is an 084 series.
I found the filler hole and the there was enough oil in it as I could not fill any more.
The grating sound is still there :cry:

Thanks you all.
I did check the clubGTI forum and I could not find anything similar to what I am having there. It is a very useful forum though and I found quite a few useful tips for checking the gear box oil there!
Any more suggestions for my car please... :confused:
benny

Sponsored Links
Back