Nasty Grinding Noise, VW Golf IV 2003

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My 1.6 VW golf (IV 2003) has started to make a metallic grinding noise.

The noise only occurs in gear and between 1500-2500 rpm (roughly). So when I accelerate in any gear i get a couple of seconds of grinding.

The noise appears to be the same at any rpm. So it doesn't get any faster at higher rpm.

It also gets worse as the engine warms up.

It doesn't seem related the steering.

The clutch and the gear box feel completely normal.

I am finding it really hard to diagnose the problem.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like a failing engine or gearbox mounting, when you accelerate the reverse torque twists the engine/gearbox so if the mounting is not good you can get metal to metal contact.

Peter

Thanks peter.

That does seem to make sense.

As the noise only occurs in gear, is it more likely to be a gearbox mount?

Don't know your engine really but I would think more likely an engine mount, if you can see them any deterioration should be noticable - it could also be the exhaust touching something, might be worth checking that first.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Easy way to check the engine mounts is to (when the engine is cold) grab the top of it and try and rock it side to side and front to back. There should be some movement, but not excessive.

Hi i have exactly the same noise on my 1996 golf. It does it about 1500 rpm also in every gear and acceleration. I've had it for about 4 months now. And i haven't found anybody with the same problem until now. Did you ever get around to finding out what it was?? I have checked the exhaust not that. We also checked the engine mounts they seem to be ok. So i'm not sure really what it is?

Back