VW Golf 2003 5dr Match 1.6 16v. Gearbox or Driveshaft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
Recently brought an 03' 1.6 16v Golf Match.
All was running fine until I broke down on the M3. The bolts holding the driveshaft to the gearbox fell out. Presumably a previous repair not done very well. I've got him coming to look soon but need some advice as to what the damage is.
I had AA out who replaced the bolts, albeit not the intended bolts and he did say to 'get home only'.
On the drive home the car was very jerky and noisy when in low gear and bunny hopped even in 2nd gear with low revs and even when I wasn't on the gas. Gear changing (lifting clutch up, not moving the stick) made a strange grinding noise and seemed to 'slam' into gear instead of smoothly going into it. And lastly the car seriously shook while accelerating at motorway speeds. The gear stick looked like it wanted to come off.
My question is, is this likely gearbox damage or driveshaft?
I've looked up symptoms for the failure of both and it seems to fit more towards driveshaft but would like some second opinions before I start taking it into garages for them to invent more problems to pay them to repair.
Thankyou in advance for any replies.
Mark

Sponsored Links
I was hoping you'd say that. Seems cheaper to get done than a gearbox. I can only assume it's one of those two seeing as it was those that came apart. The AA man didn't see anything else hanging off!
Thanks for replying
Mark

Sponsored Links
Pleased about that......I'm still not convinced that the car should have been driven at any speed though, considering the symptoms you describe!
Sounds like a DIY diff bearing breaker if allowed to continue!
John :)

Yeah you're probably right. AA man gave me the ok for just getting it home. Just glad it's sorted! Thanks again!

Back