automatic gearbox help needed (on vw golf)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, i hope you can maybe help advise a girl in need!

right, i have an 06 vw golf 1.6 auto, fsi model. it had to have a new engine put in by vw recently (long story, i bought it at a knocked down price to allow for this). before it went to have this done, i had no problems with the automatic gearbox whatsoever.

since i collected it the other week, the gears start jolting after about 6 miles of driving, mainly in the changes from 1-2, 2-1 & when i move from park into drive, or drive into reverse & back. the further miles i drive, the worse the jolting gets & it almost feels like when you stall on a manual car.

i've complained to vw but they say that as the gearbox is a sealed unit & it just slots in to the engine, there is no way they could have caused this problem when they put the new engine in. they are also saying i need a completely new gearbox as they don't know what is causing the problems!

i know nothing about cars, but i do know i had no gearbox problems before then.

do you think it is really just a coincidence as they are suggesting? the car has full vw service history + it is only 4 years old & done 50k so i can't see how a gearbox can be shot to pieces at this stage?!

any advice appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
i think you need to go back to the dealer,and tell them if its not sorted(assuming it was working fine before new engine?)then you will be seeking legal advice.

Sponsored Links
Back