Gearbox problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after advice on my gearbox. My car is a 2014 Kia Picanto. It’s a petrol engine and done about 48,000 miles.

Last week as I was driving and my clutch went. I looked down and saw some sort of clip had come off.

I was in the middle lane of a busy road. I had to force my car back into gear a couple of times so I could get off to a side road. I then had to call a recovery vehicle to take my car home.

I had the clutch fixed and I think a new clutch cable was put in.

There is now something wrong with the gearbox. Sometimes going from neutral to first or reverse won’t happen. I have to keep on trying. Also, sometimes when I am driving, I can hear a slight noise when going into second gear.

I have some questions

1) Do you think my gearbox can be fixed?

2) If it cannot be fixed roughly how much will it cost to have a new gearbox fitted?

3) If the gearbox needs replacing would I be able to get a second had one from an online car scrapyard?

4) If I do get a second hand gearbox roughly how much will it cost to get it fitted?

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like clutch not repaired properly - take it back.

Thanks

Do you not think me having to force it into gear a few times damaged the gearbox?

Thanks

Do you not think me having to force it into gear a few times damaged the gearbox?
No. Sounds like the clutch is dragging. Put your foot on the clutch, try to put it into first gear. If it won’t go in easily, keep the pressure on the gearstick trying to get it into gear and switch the engine off. If it drops into gear when the engine stops, it’s the clutch.

Sponsored Links
This morning I coudn't get it to go into any gear with both the engine off or on. The mechanic has a new clutch cable comng on Wednesday. Until then I don't want to risk trying to drive it.

I’m wondering, and assuming, that the gear lever is connected to the gearbox by cables which are out of adjustment?
Clutch good or bad makes no difference to selection with the engine off, likewise the gearbox itself.
If first is awkward, how is third gear?
John

The problems are intermittent. If I am remebering right third gear has no issues. As I said though this monring I couldn't get it into any gear. Thinking about it altough it appread to be neutral if I took my foot of the cutch it would stall.

The problems are intermittent. If I am remebering right third gear has no issues. As I said though this monring I couldn't get it into any gear. Thinking about it altough it appread to be in neutral if I took my foot of the cutch it would stall.

It’s an adjustment issue for sure....if you think you’re in neutral and you’re not that’s a sure indication.
Time to get that set up right, and hopefully that’s the end of the problems here.
As for gearbox damage, well, any sort of crunching isn’t good, but they are pretty tough......even driving instructors cars last pretty well!
John

I had to force my car back into gear a couple of times so I could get off to a side road. I then had to call a recovery vehicle to take my car home.

I had the clutch fixed and I think a new clutch cable was put in.

There is now something wrong with the gearbox. Sometimes going from neutral to first or reverse won’t happen. I have to keep on trying. Also, sometimes when I am driving, I can hear a slight noise when going into second gear.
'Forcing' into gear - with engine running or not? With the engine running you could have damaged the Synchro cones.
(Setting off technique if the cable breaks - with car stationary, stop engine, put into gear. Put foot on clutch to enable starter, when it's time to move off turn key to start position, you will probably get a couple of 'kangaroo' bumps before the engine fires, once running press the accelerator to drive away.)

Has the clutch cable been 'seated' properly (last manual car I drove had a new cable fitted which wasn't seated properly, so the cable moved around the fixing point upsetting the adjustment). That could be causing your problems.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back