VW Golf MK4 1.4 16V 2001 Crash Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0627.JPG Dear All

My son had a crash with his VW Golf 1.4 16V. The bonnet, Bumper and passenger side wing and headlight were damaged on the passenger side. The Insurance has written the car off as a CAT C. I have decided to repair the car my self as I think the damage is superficial and the Insurance engineer confirmed no chassis damage.
Having taken the Passenger side wing off I noticed that the wing support on the side is badly damaged, the metal has sheared and is jagged! The thing that worries me is that the holes where the wing bolts on, 2 of those holes are in alignment but the third one near to the bumper is out of alignment. How can I re-align this hole? If I still fit the wing using only 2 bolts will the wing align properly? Will the passenger side headlamp be out of alignment badly that it cannot be corrected to pass MOT's etc? Please see attached pictures and sorry for the long post! Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think I'd start searching for a replacement inner wing......its not necessary to use it all, just the front bit that is creased - I do think that's beyond saving.
How would you feel about getting it welded in? My worries are the front bumper and headlamp alignment would be a real problem without new parts, MOT wise.
There are plenty of crash panel outlets out there, some better than others - but all pretty cheap and a reasonable fit with some fettling.
John :)

Hi John

Many thanks for the quick reply, inner wing that I have never heard of and where can I get one from? As for welding I am an absolute novice!
The front Bumper member was bent near to the crash site so will replace, as the headlight mounting appears to be undamaged will fitting a new unit and then adjusting the aim not work?

Sponsored Links
MOT wise, it's the headlamp alignment that would give you issues .....the outer corner looks well pushed back! If you can pull that into line then I'd continue with the work.
So long as there's no flapping body panels the MOT wouldn't be worried and you would see anything underneath because of the plastic arch liner.
What I don't want to advise is for you to buy all of the replacement parts, and find the job is impossible!
Google VW crash panels and you should find what you need, including the new lamp unit.
It's not usually much of a problem to find garages that do mig welding, if you need part of the inner wing restored.
John :)

You could be lucky and find 2nd hand panels in the right colour, Golfs are quite common

PS

As a cat C write off what tests would you have to go through before it goes back on the road? I did know but I've forgotten

Dear DaveHearns

Parts are not the problem, the Wing Bolts on top do not align in that 2 of them do but the 3rd one near the bumper side is out of alignment so need to find a way to re-align this one Bolt hole. The Head Light unit also needs to be re-aligned and think the Plastic Ram panel which houses these head light units may need to be replaced as with the bumper front member.

Apparently Insurance company will insure car if we can prove repair via receipts of parts / bills, no need for another MOT even

As a Cat C write off it needs a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) by VOSA. Also, IIRC, it needs a valid MOT before you can take it for the VIC. You can't take it on the road cos you don't have any documents, so it needs trailered to and from the MOT station and the VOSA station.

Hi Alan333

Don't think VIC is needed anymore, Car has a valid MOT 2 weeks before Accident. Mechanically sound and drives fine.

Sorry Caesar, you're correct. The scheme stopped last year. My aplologies :)

Sponsored Links
Back