Selling Cat D write offs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Got a question.

Girlfriend hit a deer in her car the other night, damaged bonnet, bumper, headlamp, wing.

Not badly but enough to make it look crashed..!

We/she has gone through insurance, the whys and ifs of why i dont want to discuss.

Now the insurance assessor has written the car off as a Cat D, which is odd but seems common now days for light damage.

He has yet to make an offer but has told her she can keep the car if she likes to repair or break for parts as well as getting a pay out.

Now he has also told her she cant sell it..

Now as far as im aware she can, as long as she sells it as salavge as a Cat D, with out a log book.

Am i correct?

Sponsored Links
I don't know the answer, but I do know there have been a lot of changes getting through recently regarding scrappage.

The bloke did mention something about being able to give her something extra back via scrappage.

The nice man from the insurance company is playing you.

If its wrote off (cat D) then its worth about 100 sterling. Just have a list of salvage sites to show him similar examples.

Explain to the nice man that you want full book value for the car. Up to him what he does with it than.

All sentimental value your girlfriend has for the car must be forgotten or he will shaft you.

It doesn't make sense to take less from the insurance company just to sell it on. Its just hassle you don't need.

Sorry to be so blunt

Sponsored Links
What is the value of the car?

From what you are saying the damage does not seem 'too bad'. Could you repair it yourself with salvaged parts and not go through your insurance company (if there is any value in that approach)?

Lou.

I'm not an expert in this field but I think that once an insurance company pays out, THEY own the car and its up to them what they do with it. In soe cases, I believe you can buy it back off them.

As far as putting a write-off back on the road, I think it can be done but you'd need an "engineer's report". Category A and B can't ever go back on the road. Categories C and D can, I believe, go back but you need an engineer's report to say its safe. My last car was a Cat. D write-off and I paid about £60 for an engineer's report. He didn't do much for that, just checked the tyres were wearing evenly (which was a bit of a joke as it wasn't on those tyre when I got it) and visually inspected the structure under the bonnet! That was over 10 years ago now, though. Not sure how much has changed since.

I'm not an expert in this field but I think that once an insurance company pays out, THEY own the car and its up to them what they do with it. In soe cases, I believe you can buy it back off them.

As far as putting a write-off back on the road, I think it can be done but you'd need an "engineer's report". Category A and B can't ever go back on the road. Categories C and D can, I believe, go back but you need an engineer's report to say its safe. My last car was a Cat. D write-off and I paid about £60 for an engineer's report. He didn't do much for that, just checked the tyres were wearing evenly (which was a bit of a joke as it wasn't on those tyre when I got it) and visually inspected the structure under the bonnet! That was over 10 years ago now, though. Not sure how much has changed since.

I totally agree Avocet, but from what I am reading it does not appear that the insurance company have actually paid out yet, and I assume you can decline an settlement if you feel it is unreasonable. Although thanks for clarifying what Cat D was ( I assumed it was an automatically 'scrap the vehicle'.

Based on the damage that the OP mentioned, and what you have said, it sounds as if this may be an aged car and the insurance company are not prepared to spend probably a four figure sum to repair a vehicle worth less than £1k.

It happened to me a few years ago, so I cancelled the claim which was about £1200, got the bits required from Ebay / scrap yards all for about £200. I would lose the first £250 of any claim, so inessence the insurance company would not have paid me a penny any way!!

Due to all the crumble zones etc on modern cars, much unseen damage can occur even in the slightest of colisions, and these cars all though dont look too bad, will cost an arm & a leg to repair, so they are written off instead.

Lou.

What i said still stands...

Car is/was worth around £1400

He has yet to offer a full pay out and we can keep the car for no or little money.

If this is the case then i can get some extra money breaking it, which id rather not as wont have the time... so...

Can i sell it as is?

Gotta be worth £200/300 as a easy fix up on ebay.

He has told her she cant, allthough she is going to ask tomorrow but i dont want any flanal.

Thanks.

Cat D can go back on the road, no fuss.

Cat C is no longer road legal, the current V5 will become invaild and will need a VIC at an authorized test station to determine that the car is fit for the road. Then a new v5 can be applied for.

What i said still stands...

Car is/was worth around £1400

He has yet to offer a full pay out and we can keep the car for no or little money.

If this is the case then i can get some extra money breaking it, which id rather not as wont have the time... so...

Can i sell it as is?

Gotta be worth £200/300 as a easy fix up on ebay.

He has told her she cant, allthough she is going to ask tomorrow but i dont want any flanal.

Thanks.

Although the car is worth £1400 (is that your valuation or book value?) as mentioned previously you need to take into account the actual cost of a professional repair. An option as said is to tell the insurance company you do not wish to persue the claim, and sort it out how best suits you. You dont have to allow for the excess on the policy, or worry about you NCD.

Its your shout!

Lou.

the vehicle is still yours until they pay pay for the total loss unless you have a salvage clause written in. if you don't want that then tell them now and they will adjust the payout for that. a cat-d can still be sold privately as far as i am aware, it has been assessed as road worthy so it can be sold as usual.

it goes without saying that you will automatically reject their first offer with a strongly worded letter to the effect that it is worth far more.

just to add my2p, having gone through this in December.

My insurance used a claim management co, who worked with the assesor/salvager.
I thought it would all be sorted via my insurance, and tidied up by them later as I had fully comp, apparently this is not the case with total loss.

The claim management sorted out my cars value, £2800 they paid me just over £1950, the salvager the remaining.
If I had kept the car, it would have been the £1950 I got, and nothing more.

AFAIK, a cat D needs no inspection etc, but it is still recorded, and would show up on a hpi, if not the log-book, so would be worth less.

the other PIA in my case was the claim management paid up fairly quick, and because I had received the bulk of the money, they then wanted the rental back within 7 days, it took some arguing with my insurer to get an extension and the rest of the moeny so I could by a decent motor.

Although the car is worth £1400 (is that your valuation or book value?) as mentioned previously you need to take into account the actual cost of a professional repair. An option as said is to tell the insurance company you do not wish to persue the claim, and sort it out how best suits you. You dont have to allow for the excess on the policy, or worry about you NCD.

Its your shout!

Lou.

Glasses guide is £800/£900 trade in, £1400/£1500 retail.

1.9 diesel Y reg 206s are going for around £1200/£1300.

Thats not even getting into the fact that small cheap economical diesels of this age are rare as rocking horse poo at the mo.

Assessor said it would be £1600 to repair and he said it would be written off there and then.

He has just called her and offered £800, which she turned down and said she was looking for more like £1400, he said he would need to see the service history.

She has protected NCD and her excess is around what we would have to pay to get it repaired.

the vehicle is still yours until they pay pay for the total loss unless you have a salvage clause written in. if you don't want that then tell them now and they will adjust the payout for that. a cat-d can still be sold privately as far as i am aware, it has been assessed as road worthy so it can be sold as usual.

it goes without saying that you will automatically reject their first offer with a strongly worded letter to the effect that it is worth far more.

He has already said we can keep the car for little or no money.

Its a Cat C, not D.

Assuming we can get a full payout and keep the car...

Can we sell the car as a Cat c write off with no v5 on ebay for spares and repairs?

Sponsored Links
Back