Selling a sorn vehical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a van sat on the drive for several years now. It is Sorned and as such has no insurance or mot and has been heavily stripped of parts so no chance of it getting an mot.
We were thinking of getting rid of it soon and have had someone interested. However , recently a relative has said that she had to scrap her car because there was no mot on it and as such she was unable or not allowed to sell the car to someone not in the motor trade. I've tried looking on the government website but can't find anything to either confirm or deny this and not wanting to fall foul of the law wondered if anyone on here knows the answer , can we sell a sorn van to a private individual?

Sponsored Links
Sure you can......so long as the sorned vehicle is kept on private land and doesn't enter the highway at any time, no one is interested.
Your relative was misinformed.......a vehicle can be sold without an MOT to anyone, providing again its on private land and taken away on a trailer. It could have been driven directly to an MOT station (the nearest one) so long as it is insured.
John :)

Thanks John , probably explains why I couldn't find corrobutory evidence to back her up. Shame really because she did have a friend interested in her car , small Citroen , which in all honesty wasn't in bad condition.
My van came off the road when the diff went , couldn't find one at the time and brought another van then started to use the original for parts and over the years has seen much of its parts removed and sold. However , there are still some good bits on it and virtually no rust so just seems a shame for it to go to the crusher if someone can make use of it.

Sponsored Links
And how do you cover yourself and show that the car has changed owners? Is there a document to ensure the original person that took the car off the road has sold it to someone else and it is now "off road in their name"?

Whats to stop the new owner driving it and its off road in the original owners name?

In its present state you might as well sell it for scrap, will save a lot of hassle as they will come and pick it up. Don't know what the scrap price is like at the moment but I got over £200 for a Citroen XM a couple of years ago.

Peter

And how do you cover yourself and show that the car has changed owners? Is there a document to ensure the original person that took the car off the road has sold it to someone else and it is now "off road in their name"?

Whats to stop the new owner driving it and its off road in the original owners name?

I still have the V5 form so would just complete that and send it off. As it happens several years ago we sold another van and owing to an oversight the buyer went off with the documents leaving us in a possibly awkward situation.we wrote to Swansea and explained what had happened giving all the details we had and they responded that we were now not recorded as the registered keeper/ owner.
Either way it can't be driven legally or otherwise , only half an engine , no gearbox , propshaft, seats , steering or lights :LOL:

In its present state you might as well sell it for scrap, will save a lot of hassle as they will come and pick it up. Don't know what the scrap price is like at the moment but I got over £200 for a Citroen XM a couple of years ago.

Peter

The guy who is interested is fully aware that he will have to trailer it away so that's not a problem and money wise we would let him have it for scrap value or thereabouts .

Sponsored Links
Back