how to get car MOT'd then sell?

Not sure about the MOT but a car lying around since Christmas would not pass the NCT (our equivalent to the MOT). For one thing the brake disks would be all rust/tarnish and would not pass the brake balance test.

But that's just over here

Sponsored Links
Get it insured. Its going to be wise to take it out for a longish run and clean up the brakes etc. Also get it nice and warm before they put it on the tester.

Find out how much temporary insurance would be, or how much X insurance company would rebate you if you canceled after Y months.

As mentioned before, I believe for the 3rd party cover thing to work the car must be insured by the owner, so best have it covered so prospective buyers are covered. (http://www.churchill.com/car-insurance/buyers-guides/why-do-i-need-car-insurance.htm)

Google 'temporary car insurance' and several companies will insure for just a day in order to get it MOT'd. Once insured you can drive it directly to a prearranged MOT.

Remember if you tax it, so no longer covered by SORN then it must by law be insured even if it stays on your driveway.

Hi AlanE and Danhx,
In the end I got it insured for all June with Churchill's, (£50) then took it for test...passed no probs, then advertised in local paper and never even got a single call,..I think autotrader may be the best bet, it's a cracking car, and priced right, we'll see, may even keep it yet, cheers.

Sponsored Links
You will often find that although you are insured to drive other vehicles, those vehicles have to already be insured by its owner, otherwise you are not covered.

It makes sense really.

I've just had a further thought...Did I read somewhere that to drive someone else's car under your third party insurance that the car needed to be insured?

I'm not too sure, maybe worth checking.

Section 149 of the amended Road Traffic Act says that the car itself must have an insurance policy applied to it for it to be used on the highway and that includes being parked. Whilst you can drive it if your own policy allows you too the car can still be seized by the police and crushed for having no insurance.

You are allowed to drive or tow to a pre-booked MoT test or place of repair without existing MoT or Road Tax. If stopped on the way you must be able to prove the booking.

You cannot drive the car to demonstrate it under sale conditions unless it then has insurance and RFL unless you are a dealer with 'trade plates' and the vehicle is considered to be 'in trade' between owners.

I found this lot out 3 years ago when recommissioning a restored car that had been off the road for 15 years.

Back