Car tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dilemma, my daughter has a car that she no longer uses, last week she insured it for four days, so that it could be legally driven for it's MOT test, wich was duly passed and a certificate issued.
Realising now that the car would sell easier if it had current tax disc on it for six months..
If she insured it again for a few days would the local post office be duty bound to issue the road fund disc, providing insurance was current (though due to expire in a few days)?

There is a new law that states that every car that is taxed must also be insured, what's the views on this? the car would not be used, it's on private property.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
No different to taking in a certificate of an annual policy that expired a few days after the end of the month so don't see a prob. What is this new law you speak of, you've needed valid insurance for years. :confused:

If you use the car yes you do need insurance, but this vehicle was declared as SORN it needed temporary insurance to drive it to get it MOT'd
There is no intention of using the car till it's sold, we just feel it would sell easier if it had TAX and MOT

Wotan

If it has an MOT you could offer to tax it for the buyer once they have insurance in force.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Can't see any way it can be taxed without being insured I'm afraid.

Unless you know someone with a traders policy, i.e. insured to drive any vehicle. There are no vehicle details on the policy and it's acceptable to tax a car with it.

It boils down to..will the post office issue a tax disc if the insurance certificate is only for a few days?

Wotan

It boils down to..will the post office issue a tax disc if the insurance certificate is only for a few days?

Wotan

seems to depend on who is on the desk, I have done it twice, (tax expires within a couple of days of insurance) once not an eyelid blinked, second, a bit of umming an erring, then let me have it because its technically insured at that point.

That said, the new rules might get you, if the DVLA have you as the car being taxed, it MUST also have insurance, weather it is on the road or not, otherwise you risk a fixed penalty from them.

TBH, for me, as long as its got a good/full MOT on it, the tax is a bit immaterial, the only slight problem with being a private seller is when it comes to test drives, as it wouldn't be taxed, many buyers would also be not covered by insurance, mine lets me drive any other vehicle AS LONG as it has its own insurance

Wotan
Of course they will, its not a technicality that they have to. they have to because the law says you are insured. end of story. Just like my first post.

Freedy is right Wotan. As long as the vehicle carries a valid certificate of motor insurance at the time you apply for the VED then the Post Office MUST supply you with one.

Freedy is right Wotan. As long as the vehicle carries a valid certificate of motor insurance at the time you apply for the VED then the Post Office MUST supply you with one.
Yes and I accept that, but the worry is, there is a new law that states..every car that has tax must be insured, the only way round that is to declare the car as SORN and relinquish the tax disc I have just obtained?
The car would not be driven, it's on private property.
It appears that you are deemed to be driving without insurance, and are liable to a hefty fine, even though you have not done so, now if it were driven on a public road and was spotted by ANPR camera that would be a different matter.

Wotan

The car cannot be driven on the road without your own insurance anyway. Even if a someone turns up to test drive it and has their own insurance the car cannot be driven on the road. You must have third party insurance in place. I think the fact that someone cannot test drive it will put off far more than those who may be put off by having to tax it.

The car cannot be driven on the road without your own insurance anyway. Even if a someone turns up to test drive it and has their own insurance the car cannot be driven on the road. You must have third party insurance in place. I think the fact that someone cannot test drive it will put off far more than those who may be put off by having to tax it.
Yes I can see that, why is everything made so difficult.

Wotan

I have a scrap XM in the field which I have to sorn every year just to keep it for spares :confused:

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back