how to get car MOT'd then sell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everybody,
I have not used my car since December last year when the road tax expired, the insurance also expired in mid january.
I informed DVLA, and have a SORN (statuatory off road notification).
The car is in the garage. no problems.
I have decided, finally, that I want to sell the car, and will advertise it locally and maybe in auto trader.
However, the test certificate expires also early June, and I would prefer to sell it with a 12 month mot.
The car has only done 3k since last time, so it must be worthwhile to get it renewed before advertising.
Obviously I dont want to get it insured/taxed just to get it to a local MOT centre, can anybody give me advice what to do?.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The insurance company I am with at the moment allows you temporary cover on an additional car on line and you can print out a cover note, it costs about £15.00 for two days, that's with Swiftcover, your company might do something similar.

Peter

have you got another car?
Having a second car will not cover another that you own.

You might be permitted to drive another vehicle NOT owned by you.

You are permitted to drive directly to, and from, a prearranged MOT without tax or MOT but vehicle must of course be insured.

Sponsored Links
I had in mind the "second vehicle cover" that Peter mentioned.

It would only be relevant if OP had another car.

Hence my question.

Sorry for the delay in replying lads,
Yes we have another car, the wife's, we're both insured on it, I think that covers me (3rd party) on another vehicle, so the insurance should be ok,?
But, what concerns me is,...If all I do is drive the car to the test centre and back, assuming it passes I will get a new certificate, will the dvla get onto me for driving on the road, when I have a SORN? Cheers.

have you got another car?
Having a second car will not cover another that you own.

You might be permitted to drive another vehicle NOT owned by you.

You are permitted to drive directly to, and from, a prearranged MOT without tax or MOT but vehicle must of course be insured.

Hi Alan,
I am insured fully comp on the wife's car, (and 3rd party other vehicles, I think).
If your last paragraph is correct, I should be ok, yes.?
cheers.

You can take a car to or from a PRE-BOOKED mot without road tax, but you need insurance. You won't be covered under your wife's insurance because you/your wife can only drive other cars if they DON'T belong to you. How about getting a mate to take it for the mot under his third party cover?

As a side note it might be an idea to sell the car as if you have been using it, rather than as if it's been parked up since Xmas cos it's unreliable. It might work out an easier sale if you add a temp insurance for a month or so, and stick 6 months tax on it.

You can take a car to or from a PRE-BOOKED mot without road tax, but you need insurance. You won't be covered under your wife's insurance because you/your wife can only drive other cars if they DON'T belong to you. How about getting a mate to take it for the mot under his third party cover?

As a side note it might be an idea to sell the car as if you have been using it, rather than as if it's been parked up since Xmas cos it's unreliable. It might work out an easier sale if you add a temp insurance for a month or so, and stick 6 months tax on it.
That's great, cheers Alan.

Hi Alan,
I am insured fully comp on the wife's car, (and 3rd party other vehicles, I think).
If your last paragraph is correct, I should be ok, yes.? cheers.
Just a warning you may be a named driver on your wife's car but that gives no right to drive another. That only relates to actual policy holder.

With regards your driving another vehicle with your policy it would not cover driving driving any other vehicle you, or your wife (considered 'joint property') own.

If this extra, drive another vehicle on most peoples policy, covered a second vehicle you owned then there would be nothing to stop you insuring a banger cheaply but only drive the second vehicle which could be the most expensive car going!!

I've just had a further thought...Did I read somewhere that to drive someone else's car under your third party insurance that the car needed to be insured?

I'm not too sure, maybe worth checking.

So if Mrs Amstel has a car, and is the policyholder, she could ask her insurers to add yours as her "second car" for a limited period, long enough for her to drive it to the garage, get it MoT'd and sold.

Perhaps it is a car she is thinking of buying.

So if Mrs Amstel has a car, and is the policyholder, she could ask her insurers to add yours as her "second car" for a limited period, long enough for her to drive it to the garage, get it MoT'd and sold.

Perhaps it is a car she is thinking of buying.
Hi John, no, the mrs is quite happy with her own car, it's a 54 reg civic se, we bought it from bca manchester and it's only done 28k even now.
The car i'm selling is a toyota avensis 07/37k,/ d4d,
From the replies iv'e had, I think it's best if I insure it for as small a period as poss, and tax it for 6 months, and try and sell. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back