Selling a car

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are selling my daughter's car who is working abroad. We have never sold a car privately before, therefore have a few questions regarding the various procedures.

At present the car has MOT and valid road fund tax but no insurance. When a buyer requests to test drive a car, would it not be correct to refuse in case the damage the car?

The car has been sitting in the drive since January and the battery is flat.

When it comes to payment, what is the safe method to take payment for the sale?

The car has only clocked 23k miles- the spare has not seen light of day yet

Is it OK for us to sign the registration document on behalf of our absent daughter?

Sponsored Links
Cars have to be insured UNLESS you have had it SORN.
Have you asked a dealer for a price, might be the easy way.

You will have to let the purchaser have a test drive and my worry would be damage to a third party, so be careful.
With the banks very slow to identify forged bank drafts (up to 3 weeks) cash might be easier. During business hours, so you can lodge it straightaway, not have it in the house overnight.
Or ask for payment and don't let the car go until payment cleared by their bank, but not many punters like you talking to them like that.

This might give you some ideas.
http://www.autotrader.ie/selling-your-vehicle

The dealers will give you trade value only.
They may offer to "sell it for you" but don't let them have the car without full payment

I disagree.

A buyer does not have to take a test drive, no insurance=no test drive.

Don't forget you have to have insurance for the car if they plan to drive it on their insurance third party. A car does not need to be either SORN or insured if it is off the road and has valid Tax, if the insurance runs out first it will not matter.

Cash is the only way to pay unless the car is high value in which case I would do a BACS payment and car goes nowhere until it's in the bank.

It is fine to sign the document for her as the keeper does not need to be the owner. I regularly buy cars/bikes and sign for the seller after I get home. :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Nickso, you are the man. Thank you for your striling guidance.

I disagree.

Don't forget you have to have insurance for the car if they plan to drive it on their insurance third party. A car does not need to be either SORN or insured if it is off the road and has valid Tax, if the insurance runs out first it will not matter.

Cash is the only way to pay unless the car is high value in which case I would do a BACS payment and car goes nowhere until it's in the bank.

It is fine to sign the document for her as the keeper does not need to be the owner. I regularly buy cars/bikes and sign for the seller after I get home. :LOL:

A car does need to need insured unless it's declared off the road under SORN, this applies even if the car is kept on private property.

Wotan

I disagree.

A car does need to need insured unless it's declared off the road under SORN, this applies even if the car is kept on private property.

Wotan

If the insurance runs out first it won't matter, I do this all the time, there is never any issue. It would only be an issue if the car was on the road and was caught being there.

There's no telling some people, this is an area of the law where you are gudged guilty, before you commit the offence, in my opinion it's wrong, but it's the law.

Wotan

Sorry chaps but you are not listening.

If the car is "legal" and the insurance then runs out first there is no requirement to tell the knocking shop that that is the case if it is off the road. Even if you plan to keep it on the road as such, it still means plod will have to find it there.....this is the fundamental flaw in the system....it only punishes the law abiding...not the scummers that get away with using the cars on the road unless they get pulled by ANPR or a bored plod.

The scum only check the insurance for a new application of any status. I do this all the time as an owner of many many pieces of unroadworthy scrap.

Sorry nickso, but it is you who can't grasp the situation, a car does need insurance, unless it's declared as SORN, any tax left on the car should be submitted for a refund (they will only refund complete months)

Leaving the tax on the car is just wasting money, as you can't legally use the car once sorn has been declared.

Wotan

Leaving the tax on the car is just wasting money, as you can't legally use the car once sorn has been declared.

Wotan

Yes but IF you don't get round to cashing the disc in the DVLA will not come looking for you for the sake of a few months. Fact.

Wotan

Yes but IF you don't get round to cashing the disc in the DVLA will not come looking for you for the sake of a few months. Fact.
If you want to throw money away then thats your choice, the usual reason for declaring SORN is either the tax or insurance or MOT have, or are, about to run out.
The reason DVLA will not come looking for you is to save them money by not having to make a refund.

Wotan

Wotan

If you want to throw money away then thats your choice, the usual reason for declaring SORN is either the tax or insurance or MOT have, or are, about to run out.
The reason DVLA will not come looking for you is to save them money by not having to make a refund.

Wotan

I don't want to throw money away. My valid point is if you forget you will not get the DVLA looking for you under certain circumstances.

Play them at their own game. :)

Sponsored Links
Back