dealer wants to sell on with original V5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A private dealer has agreed to buy my BMW, but wants the logbook intact so he can sell it on without adding any owners to it.

I queried this and he said that he will sign an agreement that shows I have sold the car to him and am not responsible for it anymore.

The yellow section on the V5 is there for that reason, but he wants the document intact.

I know this is how a lot of private dealers do business as the last car I bought still had the original owners logbook with it.

Any advice would be good as I'm not happy about this, but need the money.

Sponsored Links
I've texted him to say he has to fill in the yellow part or I'm not interested in selling. When he sells to the next owner, he just gets them to sign the V5 and he sends it off as usual.

im sure in the eyes of the law,
if your name is on it then ITS YOURS.

think if you go down this route it may well come back and BITE YOU ON THE Ar5SE.

Sponsored Links
The name on the V5 is not proof of ownership, but who is responsible for registering and taxing the car.

It will also mean that any tickets or fines are sent to me. It could all be fine, but could well bite me in the arse!

There's even a tick box to say you sold it onto the trade so they don't count as a new owner, be careful sounds dodgy!

I spoke to DVLA this morning, explained i am selling the car to a dealer and they tell me that if i have lost the V5, I can sell the car to him without it but I need to write to them telling them his details. Then, if the logbook is found, I just pass it onto him ' as is'. No need to tell the DVLA.

I've written an agreement for the buyer to sign saying that he is responsible for the car from the time and date he buys it.

I'm confused, until now you haven't mentioned that you lost the V5!

Lost, or can't find at the moment. The DVLA say it's OK to sell without having the V5. They say that if the buyer is happy to buy without it, that's up to them. I only need to inform the DVLA of the buyers details, which doesn't have to be via the V5.

I sell the car, the V5 'turns up' and I send it on to the buyer as if I'd given it to him at the time of sale. Only that I don't need to fill in any of it. The phrase the DVLA used was to give it the buyer 'as is'.

I must say you seem to have great faith in the trade buyer

I have great faith in many people, even tradesmen.

He signed the V5 as a new owner in the end, so all good.

Sponsored Links
Back