car traders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I am looking at buying a second hand car (budget £1-2k). I went to look at a car the other day at someone's home. However the seller has lots of vehicles, and he said that he was a trader.

the logbook was not in his name, it was in someone else's name, however the logbook has the yellow section missing.

I have 2 questions:

What the difference between a private sale and a trader sale?

Does the logbook have to be in the traders name? If not, how does the registered owner of the vehicle sign the document before it gets sent to the DVLA?

thanks

PC

Sponsored Links
A trader doesn't have to have the logbook in his name if he's selling it on, this is good as it doesn't add another owner and you don't have to wait for it to come back from dvla after change of owner.

If he's selling the car then he should declare he's a trader from the start, if it's advertised in a paper/ classifieds then it usually has to have a (T) or similar to say it's a trader selling.

When a car is bought from a trader then the buyer has a minimum 3 months warranty, from a private sale then the buyer doesn't get anything - this is why a lot of traders sell cars as private sales (as well as avoiding paying tax), they don't want to pay for repairs under warranty

The missing yellow section on the V5 is the section where the previous keeper notifies the sale to a trader, they send this to dvla - previous keeper did the correct thing

if buying from a dealer,they have to by law give a warrenty.
under the sale of goods act.

if buying from a dealer,they have to by law give a warrenty.
under the sale of goods act.

Thats interesting gregers, when are they classed as dealers and what length of guarantee do they have to give,sorry if its a hijack.

Sponsored Links
here's a lot of info to read up on,
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...ights/Buyingacar-yourconsumerrights/DG_183047

i had the unfortunate task of having to go down this route about 5 years ago when i bought a car from a dealer,he had no idea about anything,and this was a major dealer(new and 2nd hand) in my town.
iirc under the sale of goods act you have 28 days to let the dealer know of any faults which they have to rectify,RULES MAY OF CHANGED read up on the law.

anyway by the time they finally sorted my car out it cost them in the region of 3k which included 2 lots of hire cars,1 for 2 weeks and everything mended on the car i found fault with,and this didnt even use the warranty which came with the car.
mind you i did have to threaten the dealer principle with the small claims court which i did when the dealer ship JUST happened to have rather a lot of potential clients in there :LOL:
i took advice and rang up consumer direct and follow there advice to the letter,very helpful bunch.

thanks, the person who was selling stated that they didn't offer the benefit of a garage (e.g. warranty). also the car had a few faults, which became evident upon my inspection (dashboard lights & tyres)

iirc a dealer selling a car 'sold as seen' is doing so illegally.
the info is in the link i provided.

As far as I am aware, there is such a thing as a Trade Sale. This is where a vehicle is sold "as seen" with the agreement of both parties, and all paperwork, eg invoices, are clearly marked as such.

According to the link supplied by Greggers Sold As Seen isn't legal.

The wording in the link though does say that the car should be fit for purpose and match the description.

Therefore, any known faults that are declared at the time of sale, say in an advert or an online listing will not be covered by your consumer rights and the less you pay for the car, the less interested Trading Standsrds are going to be interested in your complaints I wouls have thought.

If you buy a car for £500, that runs, is safe and has an MOT I doubt that you would have much recourse the the seller, Trade or Private.

Similarly, if the car is advertised as Spares or Repair, whatever price you pay for it, you couldn't reasonably expect a warranty.

It is about your expectations really, if you pay say £2000 for a 10 year old car you would surely not expect it to be perfect and any court wouldn't expect that either, would they?

Sponsored Links
Back