previous owners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi bit of a strange question i no but thought id try
my grandads brother passed away and he had a car that looks like it has gone missing/sold
we are not sure if he owned the car or if someone else did so need to no if he owned the car when it was sold..
dvla dont seem to be able to give this information just wondering if there is another way of finding out.
we paid over the internet a car checker but that only came up with previous numbers of owners not the names
we have no access to the old log book ect only the plate
thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can write to the DVLA with reasonable excuse for wanting to know the address of the owner and pay the fee, they should provide what you need.

who is the executor of his estate/will? Start with them.
my grandad is the executor of the estate.
but the car was sold by someone who is living in the property
thats why we want to find out if it was in my grandads brothers name.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, as clearly stated on the V5 document, the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner so even if you did prove it was in your grandads brothers name, it won’t prove a lot.

Unfortunately, as clearly stated on the V5 document, the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner so even if you did prove it was in your grandads brothers name, it won’t prove a lot.
As I found out after lending my new car to my ex wife, I was never in it again. And, although I had two sets of spare keys for it, my lawyer advised me against going and taking it.

Yes but if the deceased was on the V5 it gives the seller some explaining to do. if the police got involved, they'd want the seller to prove ownership and right to sell. Same applies to the executor. There many be other things.. receipts for tyres, payment for MOT, servicing etc.

A paper trail of receipts or bank/credit card payments establishes likely ownership. You can then right to the seller and demand the money, to avoid getting the police involved for the fraud and theft.

If the seller is as slippery as you think he is, he'll say that the car was gifted to him or that he was owed money and was given the car or something else which will leave the onus of proof on the OP.

That would normally be backed up by a keeper change. The OP starts by finding any paperwork or evidence of interest in the vehicle. with servicing, insurance, MOT etc its almost impossible not to spend money on cars. If he finds nothing and no evidence of previous keeper then chances are - it was not his car. If he finds stuff, then telling the seller that he's involving the police for the theft of the car, may flush out the story.

As I found out after lending my new car to my ex wife, I was never in it again. And, although I had two sets of spare keys for it, my lawyer advised me against going and taking it.
Assume you didn't have a bill of sale/dealer invoice in your name either ?

Of course I did. Everything was in my name.
Then I think you were let down by your lawyer. Maybe I'm missing something, but surely if you have proof of ownership this is a case of theft, plain & simple.

In the absence of a Financial order, anything owned between husband and wife during the marriage and even after separation is a free for all. She would have had joint title to the car, by right, no matter who's name it was in. If she sold that car and bought another with the trade in, in her own name - that car would also be matrimonial property.

I'm not sure why it could not have been taken back - the police would certainly not get involved.

the police would certainly not get involved
Correct, it was a civil matter. The car would have been made a ward of court and neither of us would have had use of the car until it was settled. It would also have been time consuming and the expense would have been more than the car was worth.

Sponsored Links
Back