Company logo on my front number plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just collect my car today from spray/paint shop which the front was damaged including the number plate, they have renew the front number plate but with their company logo with their post code on the bottom of the number plate in small print, when I query this, they says "it's the law we have to do this" I cannot find anywhere on the internet for the number plate law regarding company logo and I also thought they would need my log book to renew the number plate as well, anyone know or heard of this?

They also claimed if the car is stolen they can located to the company logo using their post code to trace the owner of the car on their database :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Fred, I did look at that link and missed it :oops: :rolleyes:

I still don't understand how they made my number plate without my log book

it's quite simple really. they looked at the old plate, or possibly the one on the back, wrote the number down, then got out a strip of white backing, laid the number out in black letters on it and stuck a perspex chunk over the top of the whole lot ;)

Sponsored Links

If they've got the car in front of them, they can confirm the make, model, colour, chassis number, engine size, inside leg measurement :eek: etc. etc. without a bit of paper, and they know exactly which car the number plate is going to be fitted to, 'coz they are doing the fitting.

However, if Mr Smith just walks into a garage and asks for a number plate with AB12 CDE on it, the garage have no means of knowing if Mr Smith owns any car, let alone the car with the registration AB12 CDE, and even less idea of where he's going to stick his number plate afterwards! Hence the requirement for proof of ownership.

Once Mr Smith has his new plates there is still the assumption that he would not be daft enough to put his registration number on somebody else's car so he gets all the motoring offence fines.

Thanks Tickly, sounds right to me.

Also I found out one of the reason is, they can trace back who made the number plate mostly on private plates which the letters and numbers has been altered so they can not only prosecute the drivers but the number plates companies as well but they don't seems to failed the MOT yet unless they swop the proper number plate over before MOT

TicklyT";p="1112109 said:

If they've got the car in front of them, they can confirm the make, model, colour, chassis number, engine size, inside leg measurement :eek: etc. etc. without a bit of paper, and they know exactly which car the number plate is going to be fitted to, 'coz they are doing the fitting.

we had a muppet put their car in the back of one of our transits

the garage rang me to ask for the log book to make a rear plate for the van,after repairing the van. When I asked why they said to prove its the right vehicle, bearing in mind the company name is emblazoned all over it.
it was in a ford dealership. I said your having a laugh you want to hope its the right bl**dy van as its an insurance job and they are paying not me. point taken made plate and fitted it without log book. JOBS worths

Correct, i work for a body shop and our plates are supplied by a local motor factor every time. As for havin' their logo on the bottom, utter tosh mate!

motor traders body shops etc can pay a one off fee and be registered to make and fit no.plates without having the registration document etc

Having the correct front and rear plates can be pretty important when selling it on, if the front plate advertisement is different than the rear, then people automatically assume that some damage has occured, and looks bad. If the repair was legit and above board, having nothing advertised is better than having something.

Sponsored Links
Back