Advice on buying private car number plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I am thinking of buying private number plates for my car. However, there seems to be quite a variety of them around.

Can someone be kind enough to explain the different types and where I could get a good deal?

Is it better to go to the DVLA or other companies which sell plates? What’s the difference between going to either?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sponsored Links
i would turn the question on its head

only one person/company can be the owner off a specific registration
you need to look for one you like then come back with the specific company who hold or claim to hold it
any one can sell you a plate and not own the the actual plate and the ability to transfer to your vehicle

As long as you get the V317 document you are ok. £80 transfer fee to DVLA.

I'd prefer to look at the DVLA website first, see what numbers they have available.

Then see if you can get a better number or a better price from a trader.

The DVLA is probably less likely to go bust or run off with your money.

IIRC if you buy from the DVLA it includes the cost of transfer onto your vehicle for a limited time (e.g. while you are buying and registering it).

Sponsored Links
Gp straight to the DVLA, beware the scam companies that will charge you a lot of money for the numbers they sell to you. All they do is go to the DVLA. buy the number ( if it is available ) then add a mark-up of maybe a few thousand pounds for those very special numbers.

Bought from a company that advertised as having over 2 million plates for sale the plate *** *** would have cost £2000, bought direct from DVLA it was under £150 ( June last year )

I sold one back in the '70s for £30. it was from a 1930's bike so it was ** 6004 I would have kept it if it was ** 6000. Forgot all about it and then one day in the 90's I saw it in a full page ad. with hundreds of others priced @ £1k !

What about his one, available for £156.

Number Plate.jpg

Personalised reg plates, particularly names, is just bragging and showing off and displays an insecurity complex originating from when Uncle Perv came to visit and asked them to play five knuckle shuffle. The drivers usually have 'point downwards' tattooed on their love chipolatas or 'wipe thoroughly' on their beef curtains (depending on gender.....mind you my neighbour with a private reg MA55EE has got a set of knackers on her like a pair of space hoppers they reckon) as well as jolly, jolly expensive designer clothes in the wardrobe.

Well in the days of my youth......relentless pounding and self abuse. These days second squaw Mrs. Seafarer is rather adept with the hand lotion.

It's mine and I shall wash it as fast as I like.

Sponsored Links
Back