Best way to buy Irish car number plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have a UK registered vehicle. Am I allowed to put on Irish number plates? I presume those are the ones which have 3 or 4 letters followed by 3 or 4 digits?

Where is the best place to buy them from? How can I make sure the seller is an authorised dealer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wonder if you mean the Republic of Ireland, which is a foreign country; or Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK.

You would not be allowed to put a foreign number on it.

Ordinary UK numbers, prior to about 1963, had AAA 999, AA 9999, A 9,and other formats, and you can still buy them http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/

When I think of Irish plates, it's normally baz, gaz, daz ect. Then they are allowed on uk cars.

Sponsored Links
The "Z" and I think "X" and "Y" used to be used only in NI

They are not ROI plates, but UK.

So "Irish" is not a good word.

Where is the best place to buy them from? How can I make sure the seller is an authorised dealer?

the NI plates are cheap and easy to transfer. You can get them from companies selling through eBay for as little as £49 and transfer costs around £80.

Very council those plates. I would rather have a cheap suffix plate.

Very council those plates. I would rather have a cheap suffix plate.
Absolutely, they are totally worth less. You can buy them for as little as as £50 keep them 30 years and they won't of in increased in value at all. Number plates can be an excellent investment. But the majority of them are dog poo.

Best to get dateless plates, and if possible low numbers, or the same numbers.

Absolutely, they are totally worth less. You can buy them for as little as as £50 keep them 30 years and they won't of in increased in value at all. Number plates can be an excellent investment. But the majority of them are dog poo.

Best to get dateless plates, and if possible low numbers, or the same numbers.

Dateless costs big money for what they are. If the OP just wants a cheap plate that isn't related to his car I would go suffix as it won't look like you live in the town shytehole...regardless if you do or don't.

Either that or buy mine for £400 :D

Dateless costs big money for what they are. If the OP just wants a cheap plate that isn't related to his car I would go suffix as it won't look like you live in the town shytehole...regardless if you do or don't.

Either that or buy mine for £400 :D

SOLD

What's the idea with number plates with " G - 1or 2 numbers - 3 letters "? I used to think it was an amateur radio call sign.

Before the days of ebay, you would see them in ads in Exchange and Mart, with the addresses located in places like Bangor and craigavon i recall.
In 1995 I risked about 300 pound for mine, incuding the transfer cost to the first car, mainly to lose my year plate and as a sort of investment, I avoided the ones with "z in like Baz as they seemed a bit cheap and tacky so opted for "RIJ***

It was then about 80 pound to transfer each time between other cars I recall.
I was later offered an old 5 character uk plate, so i offered mine to a website on commision, a porsche owner brought it as his initials were RIJ, i think after the sellers fees i got 700 pound

Last edited:
FWIW, until 1987, both the Republic and Northern Ireland used the British format of registrations, with the North continuing to use that system and the Republic moving to their own (European) system. The significant letter was either "I" or "Z". A full list may be found on Wikipedia. Prior to 1987, I am sure that South-registered could be used in this country with their original registration (my father had a Vauxhall Wyvern in the 60s with the registration LI 4676 from Co. Westmeath). However, a separate Wiki article relating to registrations in Northern Ireland indicates that "old" vehicles in the North bearing a South registration may continue to use it for as long as the vehicle is legal in the North. If the vehicle tax expires, the registration mark is lost, and has to be returned to Eire. Clearly, these numbers are NOT transferable!

Northern Irish registrations continue in the format XXX 9999 and are issued (as in the UK) by local area licencing offices.

I am pretty sure that in the mid 80's when I used to date a northern Irish student, that there was a time limit on being on the NI plate on the mainland?

She was ok but from memory the car was insured in NI and she said that when she qualified, possibly moving to the uk permenantly, she'd have to sell or reregister the vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Back