Plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done a bit of browsing on the 'net about this, but there is conflicting info. between web sites.

Am I right in assuming that the new number plate regs. applicable from Sept. this year do not apply to vehicles currently displaying EU GB (the circle of yellow stars) providing those vehicles do not travel outside the UK ?

Thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
My take on this from:
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

You do not need to do anything to change your existing number plate.

If your plate does have a euro or GB identifier, you do not need to cover them on the number plate.

However, you do need to prominently display a UK sticker when travelling outside of the UK.

If you have a GB, or Euro sticker on your car, this should be removed or covered up.

I hope that makes sense!

Can't even use GB anymore?

Back in 2002, we were told that our new car with GB on the plates was not sufficient. We were advised to use GB stickers as well??

Am I right in assuming that the new number plate regs. applicable from Sept. this year do not apply to vehicles currently displaying EU GB (the circle of yellow stars) providing those vehicles do not travel outside the UK ?

Yes.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for he clarification folks.

Just as an aside, isn't it strange that some plates delaminate at an early age, as indicated by the reg, whereas others stay fresh ?
The original supplying dealer plates on my 34 year old classic have only just started to be mildly effected in this way ... another case of 'they don't make them like they used to' :unsure:

Back