Detached Garage help/comments/criticisms please :-/ (Building Regs !?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to have a good sized double garage built in my back garden as the garden is more than big enough to take it (shame our house is so small :( )

Anyway. I'm not particularly clued up on building/building regs etc... hence I keep getting tied in knots and then get conflicting advice.

I chose an Architect who drawn me some plans, and he submitted them. (They looked ok to me) and he was supposed to be submitting them for building regs/building control also. However, after submitting the plans (Attached below) he subsequently died. As it happens, they got passed and I thought that was it job done.

I plan to get the builder to lay the footings/slab and the first course of bricks/blocks, and with the help of some friends (and father in law) who have previous experience, do the block work. Now the builder is making movements to start the base, he has asked "has it gone through building regs/control"?

I presumed it had, as they were full plans, but upon contacting the council, it appears not and the girl I spoke to wasn't much help.

Building inspector from council I managed to get to speak to suggested to just apply for a Building Notice the week before the builder starts.

Builder Suggested submitting full application to building control, and that he can't see why he's done the purlins that way, and a few other comments/criticisms.
He also suggested, that I could maybe go for "Truss type" roof, rather than traditional ??

My Question. :-
Are these plans THAT bad ?
Can I just submit these to Building Regs ? (as I was under the impression my architect (now deceased) was a structural engineer and had sorted it)
or am I going to have to get another structural engineer/architect to draw more drawings with all the loadings etc.....

Any Other comments / Criticisms, questions or suggestion's would be much appreciated but keep it friendly and layman's terms as I'm a total dummy/Novice.

I have removed some of the location identifying info off the drawings.

image sharing sites

Sponsored Links
Why so much insulation for a single skin blockwork?

It looks fine, however there is no structural calculations for the beams.

You say 'they got passed' but Building Control ave nothing on their system?

The roof is a bit weird, there appear to be horizontal steels that support he purlins and collar ties too! That needs rationalising. Trusses would certainly be simpler and probably cheaper but not so good if you want to utilise the roof space for storage. as mentioned there are no calcs for the steels, there's also no spec for the lintels, if the front elevation is brick then that massive steel beam lintel will be exposed? Did you ask for insulated walls/floor? there's no insulation specified for the roof so why bother with the walls/floor? 300mm hardcore is excessive, how will the dpm under the slab tie into the the (as yet unspecified) dpc in the walls? How does the builder render the side elevation next to the boundary?

You say 'they got passed' but Building Control ave nothing on their system?

The roof is a bit weird, there appear to be horizontal steels that support he purlins and collar ties too! That needs rationalising. Trusses would certainly be simpler and probably cheaper but not so good if you want to utilise the roof space for storage. as mentioned there are no calcs for the steels, there's also no spec for the lintels, if the front elevation is brick then that massive steel beam lintel will be exposed? Did you ask for insulated walls/floor? there's no insulation specified for the roof so why bother with the walls/floor? 300mm hardcore is excessive, how will the dpm under the slab tie into the the (as yet unspecified) dpc in the walls? How does the builder render the side elevation next to the boundary?
Hi Freddiemercurystwin

Yes, the planning department approved my plans and therefore planning approval was granted.

Are you inclining that the LA may have dropped a ball or done a faux pa ?

But yes, when I rang them they said there had been no “building regulation” applied for, but I thought that was covered in “full plans” hence a full set of plans were applied for. Should the LA maybe have approved this or queried it before granting permission ?

Currently replying on my phone but will reply properly once I’m home

Sponsored Links
How much did you pay BC for approval, the actual sum paid should indicate whether it was just for planning approval or building regs as well. From memory when I did my extension a few years ago the difference in cost was approx double

Seems like you're getting Planning Permission and Building Regs confused, they're two different things each with their own fees/approvals.

As FMT says Planning Permission & Building Regs are two seperate things.

I reckon your plans have been submitted for Planning and approved. Congrats you have permission to build it (it must end up looking like the submitted plans).

Now you need Building Regs - this is to ensure that it is built ‘safely’ or to the required specification. This is a seperate application to a different council department.

There are 2 options. A Building Notice where you crack on with building and an Inspector checks progress at various stages. This has a slight risk in that if the Builder does something the Inspector isn’t happy with, you’ll have to rectify it.
Or Full Plans - you submit technical drawings to the council and they check and approve them. As long as you build to the approved plans your garage will pass. Less risk, if your Builder follows the plans, but a delay to have them checked.

I’m not sure there’s enough detail in your current drawings for a Full Plans submission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back