Building Regs for office workshop on building notice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone clarify?

Full Planning has been granted for a small unit on a plot.

The unit has a couple of offices, a workshop, and a sales counter/reception.

I know the building regs have to be followed for disability access etc, windows, insulation etc

An architect drew up basic plans. The remit was build cost 150K, quotes to build on the architects design came back at 400K!

And it is only a 26m long timber frame building single story!

Can I:
Give the architect the boot? A=Yes

It is not that complicated its a basic timber frame building.
The only planning restrictions is protect some trees and have in the design sound proofing for workshop.

Can I put a building notice in and start building straight away and use the basic footprint granted in planning and call in the BCO to sign off each stage of construction?

Or do I need to submit further detail plans and get building reg approval before submitting the building notice?

keeping in mind this is non residential?

Many thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Building notice is for domestic work only. You will have to submit full detailed plans

Building notice is for domestic work only. You will have to submit full detailed plans

Hi Woody I have duplicated this question elsewhere and you have answered oops :oops:

Can I ask this then:
I got a building notice form back with the planning and on the granted planning application it says:

"you are advised to contact that section (Building Regs dept (I assume building control) to ascertain whether you require their prior approval before commencing any work onsite"

That to me almost reads you may not have to have detailed plans or prior approval to start? (its only a Timber frame single story).

Could I use 'generic' timber frame construction detail drawings? and take that to them?

i.e here is a drawing of the dimensions of my timber frame, here is the generic jointing details, here is the generic insulation drawings etc?

Dont know if I have explained my self very well there? :oops:

Planning and b/regs depts don't always mix well

They just tend to send standard forms out without really being specific, so just because one particular form was enclosed, that does not mean that that is what the council is telling you to use

The drawings must be relative to what is to be built. If generic drawings are handed in then there may be a whole bunch of subsequent questions to be clarified - or they may just be rejected. Dimensions, fire precautions and exit routes are particularly important and generic drawings wont detail these

Sponsored Links
I am trying to instant message you but my msn needs updating (i never use it).

I think I better get my pencil sharpener out.

I'll knock up some drawings, and give dimensions.
What I propose is this:

Drawings 1 to 4 North, East, South, West elevations and put window/door sizes on each and overall dimensions.

Drawing 5 Site plan showing drainage positions and sizes.

Drw 6 external wall construction detail, using generic detail, (which I am building too anyway)
Drawing 7 roof elevation and plan with construction detail 'call outs'.

Drawing 8 Fire Exit plan, showing rear fire escape door, fire exit sign positions, fire extinguisher positions, exit plan routes from rooms, MOE window, Front door.
Drawing 9 ramp access from parking area
Drawing 10 general room layout.

Do I need to draw electrical, heating and plumbing plan? i.e a simple diagram showing how many switches sockets, sinks, locations etc?

I know I dont need to use fire rated plasterboard as they were asked which was a surprise.

Have I missed anything or does the above sound reasonable?
I will do it over weekend then take it in and show them for their thoughts before officially submitting it.

Am I right in saying as long is it conforms to Building Regs the drawings should be accepted?

Have I missed anything?
Also I know you can browse planning applications for submitted and granted drawings is there something similar for building control drawings?

And have I missed anything important in my drawing list?

Many thanks.

If you are doing this yourself the I would do ...

four elevations 1:100

a floor plan 1:50 or 1:20 with all the drains, access/egress routes, dimensions, ramp, and everything else

a section 1:50 or 1:20 to detail foundations, wall and roof construction. Do this section so that you see the sides of roof joists/rafters and not the ends

You might be better off doing a separate additional floor plan with all the fire safety related stuff on it if the Fire Service will be involved in checking compliance

You don't have to draw or detail everything, but rather you can specify it with text. So your ramp for instance you can just draw an arrow and put text describing the material and slope angle etc

You don't need to specify or draw water supply, electric or gas/heating fittings. But will need to do waste drainage provisions and fire detection and escape lighting

Dealing with internal and external fire spread (especially if close to the boundary) will be scrutinised closely

Thanks Woody that's a very helpful 'Brief'

. Do this section so that you see the sides of roof joists/rafters and not the ends

I assume this is so they can see how it is connected?

if the Fire Service will be involved in checking compliance

How will I know if they are to be involved or not? there has been no mention so far, or will that be automatic with a timber frame single story building? non residential? Or do I have to contact the fire service and ask?

Dealing with internal and external fire spread (especially if close to the boundary) will be scrutinised closely

Nowhere near boundary and detached but something you mention there makes me confused, I dont have to use fire rated plasterboard, I assume because there is no first floor.

But how do I determine where or if I need fire rated doors?
Or should I just specify fire doors for the boiler room and kitchen (tearoom) and say one on the office where there will be pc printers etc, and the rest normal doors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back