How detailed a drawing for Building Regs and Builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are newbies, planning to build our first rear extension. Currently we look to switch from expensive-and-not-very-responsive architects with whom we have started to work on options for our rear extension, to some more affordable architectural design bureaus. One option is to take the guys who have produced the plans in the attachment (actually got it from our neighbours party wall notice & award)

The question - Can the sample drawings in the attachments be submitted to Building Control and to the Builders for the accurate quotes & build, or something more detailed is needed ?
[Building engineer calculations for all beams and lintols are also available, not included here]

Also, regarding the attached sample plans - how the questions like "Contractor to expose ex beam at start of works. Structural Engineer to confirm suitability to support new beam & upgrade beam if necessary" are resolved? Do builders quote for main batch of work + additional work if required?

Thanks,
D

Attachments

• plans example.page 1.png
    plans example.page 1.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 694
  • plans example.page 2.png
    plans example.page 2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 698
  • plans example.page 3.png
    plans example.page 3.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 565
  • plans example.page 4.png
    plans example.page 4.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 643
  • plans example.page 5.png
    plans example.page 5.png
    539.5 KB · Views: 899
Sponsored Links
A local technician would be fine to prepare plans for building regs/planning permission - they are usually more up to speed on these matters than RIBA architects.
You don't have to have plans drawn for a building regs application, though plans are more-or-less essential if you want prices from builders and to tie down more firmly what you actually want.
The statements you quote from the plans are self-explanatory really. For the price for the job as a whole, you need to get written quotes detailing what the builder will- and won't do.
Any fees for a structural engineers' input will be additional.

I don't think you can expect anyone to plan check the plans. They might be ok, or you might get 50 clarifications.

But more pertinent for you is the quote. Writing "steel beam to have a 100mm bearing" will pass, and the builder will quote for that. However if when the time comes the builder can't get a 100mm bearing, or needs to rebuild the wall to a better standard then there is a cost to that that you did not know about. Add up lots of these unknowns and you have a pretty tidy sum to fork out.

That is the job of whoever draws the plans. He won't get it 100% as there is always some unforeseen work or inspector requirements.

So crap plans can pass building regs ( work gets checked on site) but can cost you dear.

Happy New Year to everyone, and thanks Tony and Woody. Important insights.

I think my main question here is - are these plans (as attached) are of the level of details that you would normally expect from the building plans, or typically, from your experience, more details/specs are needed?

Sponsored Links
I cannot see the plans in detail but they look pretty good to me and certainly what you would expect for a Building Regulations full plans application and builders quotes.

How much is their fee quote to produce the plans for your extension?

I cannot see the plans in detail but they look pretty good to me and certainly what you would expect for a Building Regulations full plans application and builders quotes.

I have not asked this firm yet. Will talk to them in the next few days.

There's a lot of detail on the textual specification page. Probably most of which is copy/pasted from the last job. You need to check you're happy with that. i.e. by using your neighbours plan you've inherited the request to go for a 100mm cavity with 50mm partial fill PIR board... and mesh reinforcement every 3 courses - why? It's cheaper and easier to use full-fill. If you're going to use it as the basis for quotes you need to be sure that you're happy with the meaning behind the words.

Lots of plan drawers put lots of (copy pasted) text on their drawings because they think it looks good. But you tend to find that most is irrelevant
to the actual job. Likewaise with standard detail drawings.

So having lots of text does not necessarily mean anything. The key is whether the text has the correct information in it, and that's why I mentioned that it needs to be checked, and unless someone is willing to read it all and cross-reference it with the drawings, then you wont know.

Again for quotes, if the text says use Hepworth drainage and the builder quotes for Hepworth but uses Fung-Yip, then it will still pass building regs but you will be being over charged. So you need to be clear on what the builder is pricing on - are you expecting a price for "an extension", or do you have specific requirements and needs. Either could pass building regs. So if the plan drawer specifies Fung-Yip and not more expensive Hepworth, then the builder will quote cheaper and buy the cheaper product and you know what you are getting. Building regulations are a minimum standard - a tap operated by an adjustable spanner will pass building regualtions for instance.

I think any plan drawer who is willing to illustrate section drawings, especially those at complex or contentious junctions, show they are willing to go that bit further.

I am talking about those pertaining to the actual build and not some crappy generic copy and paste efforts.

I think any plan drawer who is willing to illustrate section drawings, especially those at complex or contentious junctions, show they are willing to go that bit further.

I am talking about those pertaining to the actual build and not some crappy generic copy and paste efforts.

There is one bloke who does them regular around here and every plan has a lovely 3d drawing of a beam connection, and then an eaves section and DPC section and none of these actually relate to the work. But the home owners always think that they are great drawings. I think he only changes the address on his plans.

I got involved building one of his jobs a few years ago as a foreigner :whistle:, and told the lady that she would have to have the beam holding the roof up in the bedroom and would need to duck under it, as the alternative of having it floating outside above the roof was not really an option.

Ended up doing a freebie [re]design and build, as the plan monkey did not have a scoobie - said "the builder normally sorts that out". Bless.

the plan monkey did not have a scoobie - said "the builder normally sorts that out"
I have a similar problem with my build. The guy drawing the plans was a plonker (I’m sure it was his first time) and he must have hoped the builder would sort it, but the builder is just as bad. Seems to make stuff up as he goes along :whistle:

I have a similar problem with my build. The guy drawing the plans was a plonker (I’m sure it was his first time) and he must have hoped the builder would sort it, but the builder is just as bad. Seems to make stuff up as he goes along :whistle:
Lucky the client is tolerant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back