When to apply for building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we have just handed in our planning application for a side and rear extension.
Having never been through this process before, at what point do we apply for building regulation approval? I really want to get started on the build as soon as the planning permission is granted - i am in the process of getting builders quotes now.

what documents do they need for the building regs application?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
As soon as you know planning won't want any changes.

Detailed plans and specification.

As soon as you know planning won't want any changes.

Detailed plans and specification.

do i have to wait until the end of the time period, or will i get a rough idea by ringing the planning officer half way through? i.e 4 weeks after submitting plans

Sponsored Links
I use BBS building control, submit an online application, start 7 days later.

You still need drawings etc.

Thanks for replies. So if my understanding is correct, I have to wait 8 weeks until I have approved planning permission, and then I can apply for building regulations? I was hoping to book a builder for 3 months time from now. Would this not be possible?

Cheers.

Thanks for replies. So if my understanding is correct, I have to wait 8 weeks until I have approved planning permission, and then I can apply for building regulations? I was hoping to book a builder for 3 months time from now. Would this not be possible?

Cheers.

You can apply for building regs when you like. If you do it before the decision date, you run the risk paying out for regs drawings and LA fee and then get a refusal from planning.

If you are very confident of getting consent, then do it earlier.

I cant speak for builders, but I wouldnt schedule in an orangery until planning decision is reached. Ive had cases that shouldve been a dead cert and got a refusal, which is a pain if you have a slot booked, sometimes other jobs cant be brought forward easily. On that basis, I would speak to builders and see what they say. I cant see them offering to start the day after consent, anyway it takes a few days to get labour, plant and materials sorted.

Do you have building regs dwgs done already? If you, bear in mind whoever does them will have a 3 week lead time or similar.

I personally prefer working with independant inspectors, they often employ ex council building inspectors anyway. As I said above, you can start in 7 days.

You can apply for building regs when you like. If you do it before the decision date, you run the risk paying out for regs drawings and LA fee and then get a refusal from planning.

If you are very confident of getting consent, then do it earlier.

I cant speak for builders, but I wouldnt schedule in an orangery until planning decision is reached. Ive had cases that shouldve been a dead cert and got a refusal, which is a pain if you have a slot booked, sometimes other jobs cant be brought forward easily. On that basis, I would speak to builders and see what they say. I cant see them offering to start the day after consent, anyway it takes a few days to get labour, plant and materials sorted.

Do you have building regs dwgs done already? If you, bear in mind whoever does them will have a 3 week lead time or similar.

I personally prefer working with independant inspectors, they often employ ex council building inspectors anyway. As I said above, you can start in 7 days.

Thanks very much for your reply.
We only have our plans, are these different from building regs drawings? Is the architect that usually does these?

Thanks very much for your reply.
We only have our plans, are these different from building regs drawings? Is the architect that usually does these?

Planning drawings only show existing and proposed elevations.

Building regs drawings show construction detail and will include detailed notes which will specify technical specs. These will have such things as insulation, fire escape, passive and mechanical ventilation etc etc. A full building regs application means sending in the drawing for 'plan checking'. That means all details will be checked to ensure the project will fully comply to current regs. You can just submit a notice and start, but its risky because it then depends on the building inspector turning up for an inspection and saying, 'xyz is wrong it needs re doing'.

Planning drawings only show existing and proposed elevations.

Building regs drawings show construction detail and will include detailed notes which will specify technical specs. These will have such things as insulation, fire escape, passive and mechanical ventilation etc etc. A full building regs application means sending in the drawing for 'plan checking'. That means all details will be checked to ensure the project will fully comply to current regs. You can just submit a notice and start, but its risky because it then depends on the building inspector turning up for an inspection and saying, 'xyz is wrong it needs re doing'.

Ah OK I see thanks for the information.

So who does the list of building regs?
No doubt its a further expense..
Thanks.

Whoever did your plans for planning should have explained that you need different plans for building regulations.

Builders can't quote off the planning plans either ad they don't have the account of default or specification required to give realistic quotes off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back