Dodgy number plates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a 2nd hand car, private sale. Discovered a set of plates, different number, in the back. Did a check on the number and comes back as not surprisingly, an identical vehicle, still taxed, MOTed and insured. Also, a full vehicle check shows it as NOT stolen or scrapped etc.

What's the score here? What's gone on? Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Looks to me you have two choices...

Get the other set of plates minced up and dispose of over several rubbish collections.

Or you inform the local police risking loosing your recently acquired car...

Check the vin on the car against the vin on the V5. If they match up, bin the dodgy plates and think no more about it. If they don’t match, you're in trouble. Did you not look in the back when you bought the car?

Used the plates on the car to make it look legit when driving it whilst also using the other taxed/insured/mot'd car at the same time, 2 for 1 scam?

Check the vin on the car against the vin on the V5. If they match up, bin the dodgy plates and think no more about it. If they don’t match, you're in trouble. Did you not look in the back when you bought the car?
There's another element to this. The MOT mileage also does not match my car but coincidentally, is very similar to that of the other plates'.
My suspicion therefore is that they have used the other vehicle to get the MOT; the tester has not cross-checked the VINs or, is a dodgy testing centre. Reason being that my car not MOT able.

Oh dear.

There's another element to this. The MOT mileage also does not match my car but coincidentally, is very similar to that of the other plates'.
My suspicion therefore is that they have used the other vehicle to get the MOT; the tester has not cross-checked the VINs or, is a dodgy testing centre. Reason being that my car not MOT able.

Oh dear.
Well now you can involve the police

the tester has not cross-checked the VINs
That wouldn’t have happened. When registering a vehicle for test, you have to enter the full reg and the last 6 digits of the vin and they must tally with what’s in the database otherwise you can’t proceed. If it was a dodgy test station, they wouldn’t have needed to even see the car. Does the MOT certificate show the vin and does it match with the vin on the V5 and the vin on the vehicle?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back