Is this a bit dodgy from a car dealer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So a friend has seen a car online. It's with a dealer who has several other cars for sale. My mate emailed asking about service history and any work done previously to the car. He got a reply saying the dealer was selling for a friend who's in the industry and has done any work himself so no paperwork. (The ad did say he's selling it for a friend to be fair). The dealer said the owner could stamp the book for him if he likes. I'm not sure if this sounds very dodgy or very honest as he could have stamped it already he wanted to. Anyone got any opinion?

Sponsored Links
I've always serviced my cars and don't trust dealers.
I bought several cars from people who had serviced them themselves, but they had receipts for all the parts they used (oil and filters mainly).
I also keep all receipts so when it comes to selling I can show something to the buyer.
Also, I offer to do a service for them in their presence so they can learn and continue doing it themselves.
In your case you're buying something with no history whatsoever, unless they have receipts.
So treat it as a car with no service.

walk away from it.
As above. The dealer is absolving his liability for any faults subsequently found. If you have problems, he'll say it was a private sale between you and his 'friend' so no warranty. The fact it states that in the advert is to cover his arse. Does this 'friend' in the trade not know how to advertise a car for sale then? Ask to be put in touch directly with the 'friend' and look at it at the 'friends' house where, if genuine, it will be registered to that address. I bet you'll hear no more from the dealer or you'll hear another cock and bull story.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I do my own work and don't write anything down. I don't have a stamp. I do 10 year oil service. Doesn't mean I am dodgy. If you are concerned but interested, then get AA/whoever to do an inspection on it.

I do my own work and don't write anything down. I don't have a stamp. I do 10 year oil service. Doesn't mean I am dodgy. If you are concerned but interested, then get AA/whoever to do an inspection on it.
What exactly is that ????????

Are you talking about the idiot whose garage checks his oil and tells him it just needs topping up every year?

A service every 10 years :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
...whether it needs it or not! No expense spared with nutjob! It's a credit to the vehicle manufacturer's durability that they last as long as they do, with that sort of criminal neglect.

Thanks everyone. Better safe than sorry eh.

If the guy selling it really IS in the trade, he, of all people, would know the value of a proper service history. Frankly, this all smells fisher than a week-old fish sandwich. treat it like it has no service history whatsoever, and bid accordingly. For all you know, it's been lovingly maintained by our very own nutjob!

If the guy selling it really IS in the trade, he, of all people, would know the value of a proper service history. Frankly, this all smells fisher than a week-old fish sandwich. treat it like it has no service history whatsoever, and bid accordingly. For all you know, it's been lovingly maintained by our very own nutjob!
To be honest I'm amazed by how many cars on auto trader, car gurus for example that don't have a full history or even any history at all. It makes finding a decent car a bit of a challenge.

Sponsored Links
Back