01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

I'll stick me neck out and say that drum replacement probably could have been avoided....unless the car has been to the moon and back, of course.
Anyway, lets hope thats the end of it for now!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Had you a look through the back wheels, any new shiny (well dull new shiny) steel visible? A round thing about 6-8 inch in diameter?

Yeah, there are new drums on it alright, but I am still not convinced that they were needed. I am not savvy enough to know those types of things with ay degree of certainty unfortunately. Basically what I know about car maintenance is basic servicing, and stuff I've learnt along the way, most of which was via help from yourself and Burnerman! :) But I have learnt a lot thank to you guys! :)

HI guys. Just back from my retest. Car passed, as expected. However, I made it my business to check the brake test results and compare them to the test the last time.

Originally, the front axle passed, and the rear axle failed. The original results were as follows:

''Ovality above 90% is a fail''. The ORIGINAL Ovality results on my car were front axle - nearside 11% and offside 12%. For the rear axle it was nearside 11% and offside 22%. None of these was anywhere near the over 90% ovality fail? The overall imbalance, however, on the rear axle was 39%, which is only 9% over the 30% fail threshold, but which was the reason for failing on the brake test.

Now, I got the back tyres replaced, and as you know had all the brakes, shoes, drums cylinders etc replaced on the back. The new brake test went as follows:

Front Axle Ovality - Nearside 62% and Offside 64%. Total Imbalance of 6%.
Rear Axle Ovality - Nearside 14% and Offside 25%. Total imbalance of 14%.

My first question would be why there is such a huge change in the ovality on the front axle? And my second question would be about the results of the Ovality on my new brakes on the rear axle. Offside was @ 25%. Overall Imbalance of 14% seems quite a lot for the new drums and brakes etc?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
This might help?
http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctvehicleinspectionreportexplanatorynotes.pdf

The increase in ovality may well be due to light braking (front) leading up to the test and the new shoes/drums (back) are not fully bedded in yet. The back brakes do very little when stopping the car, less than 20%.

The imbalance is far more important and calculated from the brake efficiency figures. It takes the brake force and the weight of the car applied to each wheel and ensures the brakes when used in anger, will not pull/steer the car out of control.

Good result, happy days ................

Back