01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a 01 Seat Cordoba yesterday, from a dealer. Good price, mileage at 100k and timing belt done at 90k. Tested until the end of January and driving well seemingly. I expected a few little things for the price I paid, but here is what I have found. The digital display screen isn't very readable, which I guess I can live with, but

1. EPC light is showing on the dashboard.
2. steering wheel vibrates and clicks when turned with the car stopped.
3. Rattle under bonnet when I was driving home. Gear/Clutch/Velocity related?
4. Passenger side wiper doesn't work.
5. Finally got the boot open and found it to be empty and hollow. When I say Empty and hollow I mean no spare wheel and no cutout shaped compartment to sit on the spare wheel and make the boot functional as a storage area.

Dealer said the brakes should be done in a month or so and that the wheels would need to be balanced.
I have emailed the dealer to see if he has the spare wheel/boot compartment, but I guess the rest is going to be my burden.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, and normally I'd agree with your answer. However, today, after some decent research, I found that a very common reason for the EPC warning light is the brake lights sensor switch, which is located quite close to the pedals. If it comes loose, it causes the EPC light to come on, and the brake lights to fail. So, I checked my brake lights and they weren't working. It was too dark to go sensor switch hunting tonight, but assuming that I can easily fix this issue, all that's left is wheel balance, check the steering(but it's probably a symptom of the balance issue), and the spare wheel stuff. After those things are done, it'd close to right.

I've heard about the brake light switch issue too....lets hope its just that!
Do check the power steering fluid level regarding the PAS noise, and if you get stumped by the under bonnet rattle, just check the bonnet hinges for wear.
If other nasties appear, remember the dealer should have some duty of care towards you.
We all wish you well!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, so went to the auto shop today, got the wheels balanced, 2 front tires and tracking done. Car drives much smoother now thankfully. The Brake Light Switch is easily accessible, thankfully, but I'm down to my last pennies right now so that will have to wait. The thing is, I'll be driving with no brake lights. :( The new brake light switch will cost around €15, and I reckon it's easy enough to fit. Probably screw it in(or push it in, and attach the plug to the end of it. I reckon I can handle that! :) Once that is done, then it is just the wiper link (passenger side) and one of the bulbs in the passenger side headlight which no matter how I wiggle it around, it won't come out!
Awaiting word from the dealer about the spare wheel which I expect he will find somewhere in his shop. I did notice one of the front wheels is without a nut and bolt, so that is another breaker job that needs doing. But it is starting to look a bit brighter, and I am getting used to driving it now. Although the reverse gear is very easily misengaged into first gear and that is causing me some difficulty.

there are various sensors and switches that contribute to the epc system, it may be better for you to try and get a diagnosis done
you may or may not get lucky with the brake pedal switch (some cars have 2 switches on the brake pedal)

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. There are 2 switches on my own brake pedal actually. I've been told if it is this that is causing the EPC, then it is more likely to be the lower switch(or the white one). Another thing I noticed today that suggests a brake switch issue to me is that today, when I braked without the engine on, the rear window heater switch lit up. I think that maybe during some previous maintenance the car has had, that perhaps the window heater and brake light switches were crossed? Because, I'll tell you another thing, the window heater is rubbish! So bad that I wondered was it working at all!!!! :)

Does anyone know if there is a switch or sensor for the rear heated window in a 01 Cordoba 1.4? Apart from the switch above the air con display?
When I hit the brake pedals that switch activates and my brake lights don't come on, so I am hoping that the 2 switches were plugged into the wrong cables or whatever? So any help on where I'd find any sensor for the heated rear window could be very helpful.

Hells bells mate there's something fishy here.....will you just check something?
If the incorrect bulbs are put in the rear lamp clusters all sorts of nonsense can happen - I've posted on this before.
So far as I know, switching the HRW on does just that, often with a timer built into the relay circuit. SEAT wiring should be of above average quality I feel, unless someone has been 'modifying' it!

SO it could be as simple as the wrong bulbs? I'll take a look at that, as that seems easy enough. Anything beyond that and the sensor replacement is outside my knowledge but as always I am open to learning as I go and will be willing to try anything suggested! :mrgreen:

Checked through the bulbs. Brake light on the driver side worked once I changed the bulb. However, the window heater switch light still comes on when I engage the brakes. I didn't have enough bulbs to replace the passenger side, but I presume it will work once I replace it. :(
The reverse lights only worked on the passenger side, and so I replaced the driver side reverse bulb and it still didn't work. So something else is wrong there, with the plugs or cables or whatever? Any suggestions?
I have taken some pictures of the switches and sensors.

The first picture shows me holding the plug which I took out of the brake lights switch. The brake lights won't work when I remove this plug. However, when I engage the brakes with this plug removed, the window heater light switch does not come on. Once I plug it back in, the heater light comes back on when I engage the brakes, but also the brake lights(well the new bulb, I've installed) works. This is baffling.

290xvf7.jpg

The next picture shows where the sensors and switches are located, and I wondered was it normal for there to be so few? It looks like there are several missing? But then, I don't know for sure? But most important I guess, is advice on the reverse light and window heater stuff!

34gvz2u.jpg

Firstly, don't worry about the apparently empty fuse box / relay platform.....the same part is used for cars of differing specifications and even countries for use - all cars are like that.
So, lets cure one fault at a time.
When you replace your bulbs, have a look inside the holder first - if you can see two bottom contacts then it suits a two filiament bulb. Fitting an incorrect bulb will interfere with several different circuits providing bizarre happenings!
Its a good move to check every bulb in the tail clusters, in fact.
It seems that one side cluster is becoming particularly obstinate and its worth looking for earth continuity on that side.
If the car has had a towbar, then trace each connection back and make good - always solder, forget those dreadful crimp things.

You are a Godsend John! Always willing to offer help and advice. :)
In actual fact the headlight on the front passenger side was out also, but I have replaced that one. The middle bulb in the headlight set on that side isn't working and I have the replacement but I just cannot get the old one to come out. I can get at it, but it just won't move outwards. But that would not be consistent with the brake light and reverse light problem as they are located on driver side?

The brake light?EPC issue has popped up again also. Here is what I found this evening;

The EPC light comes on when I first start the car. If I turn the engine off and start again, the EPC light (often)doesn't come on. However, after a short while during the drive, the EPC light does come back on. While all of this is going on, once the EPC light is showing on the dash, the brake lights don't work. When it isn't showing on the dash, the brake lights do work(apart from the one bulb that needs replacing). It's gotta be the brake light switch doesn't it? Mind you, it still doesn't explain why the window heater is involved, unless there is a bad connection with the wiring near the rear window.

I do not have a tow bar, but I am a good solderer. Problem is, I don't really know where to start looking on this, or what I am really looking for! :(

Local breaker, get the two switches put them on and see how you go. They may not be new but the likelihood of them having the same fault as your own old switches will be slim.

Some of the other VAG stuff might have the same connections, if he hasn't a Seat in stock

Auto electricity is an art-form

Sponsored Links
Back