01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

I know, I made a mistake. I got flustered because I'm selling something and someone came to the door just at the wrong time.
I'll edit it.

Sponsored Links
Ok, no prob! :)

Anyone confirm that if a 21W is on one reverse light and a 21/5 in the other that it would cause the 21W bulb to fail? The SEAT dealer suggested that it could. But I've never heard anything like that before? Then again, with the strange reaction this car had to dead brake lamps you'd never know!!!!

21W /5W (Stop /Tail) has two filaments and two lead tips on the end of the bulb.
21W (reverse, indicator) has one filament and one lead tip on the end of the bulb.
Mix 'em up at your peril :p
John :)

Ok thanks John. It's just that currently, only the 21/5 seems to work in the reverse lamp! I'll get 2 new reverse lamps tomorrow and check it out. Hopefully that will be that for the electrics!!!! :)

Sponsored Links
It could work mate, maybe its putting both filaments on. The reverse bulb socket must have a single filament bulb fitted.

The plot thickens guys! :)

The EPC dash light came on again, so I decided to get the thing read. It isn't returning any errors. Now, I still haven't replaced the reverse bulbs, but I will do that tomorrow for sure. The EPC light situation is now as follows:

It doesn't come on unless the headlights are switched on. If it comes on during a night drive, I can make it switch back off by doing the following;

1. Turn off headlights
2. Engage brake pedal.

The I just switch the headlights back on and carry on.
Doing that will eliminate the EPC from the dash for around 10 minutes.
To make matters even stranger, we found also that when the headlights are not on and the brake pedal is engaged, one of the passenger side headlight bulbs comes on.

The mechanic said it could be wiring but that it might also be the brake pedal switch is acting up and on the way out and that this has been known to mess with the electrics in general. He said, he could check the wiring but it could take hours and be costly and that it might be best to try to find the solution online, or even try to replace the brake pedal switch first and see what gives then?

I'm intrigued........:)

Indeed, so are we all :p
SEAT's have quality wiring to start with....unless its been effectively screwed up somehow it should remain that way.
Usually I find that things go wrong when towbars, extra lights and alarms etc have been fitted by people who don't have a clue, and / or use crimped connectors instead of soldering.
The correct replacement bulbs are important, and if replacing the brake switch is a likely thing, then go for that too - at least it won't break the bank!
I'm sure you'll keep us up to date..... :p
Hold on in there mate.

Temporary earth strap on the tail gate yet? Are the carpets wet?

You know I will keep you guys posted! You know it for sure! :D
I have to say that apart from that little niggle, the car drives well, and is very comfortable. I am really growing to like it a lot, even the weird reverse gear!!!

I occasionally get a noise from the front, when I am driving slowly. It sounds like badly worn brakes(like a metal sound), but it happens when I am not using the brakes, and only when driving slowly, and only sometimes! Weird one.I had the tires done and the brakes were apparently checked and given as good.
I was thinking maybe something to do with the rotor was loose. But surely if that were the case it would happen all the time? It sounds like something metal and heavy is sliding along the ground! But once I get some speed up, it seems to be gone!

Haven't tried anything yet Mursal. Apart from the fault reading which thankfully came back clear. Carpets aren't wet no. At least, I haven't noticed them if they are!

You know I will keep you guys posted! You know it for sure! :D
I have to say that apart from that little niggle, the car drives well, and is very comfortable. I am really growing to like it a lot, even the weird reverse gear!!!

I occasionally get a noise from the front, when I am driving slowly. It sounds like badly worn brakes(like a metal sound), but it happens when I am not using the brakes, and only when driving slowly, and only sometimes! Weird one.I had the tires done and the brakes were apparently checked and given as good.
I was thinking maybe something to do with the rotor was loose. But surely if that were the case it would happen all the time? It sounds like something metal and heavy is sliding along the ground! But once I get some speed up, it seems to be gone!

For this one, check that the backplates, behind the discs (and prone to rusting,) aren't rubbing on the disc themselves.

Reverse bulbs installed, still driver side doesn't work. Socket seems to be in decent condition. The wiring plugs in and one side of the plug clip is broken. Doesn't look like it'd be anything to bother the wiring? You know the squeeze clip plugs, were you squeeze the sides of the plug to release it from the socket. Well the right hand clip, no longer works. Wiring looks ok, but I guess I will have to go over it bit by bit. :( Not really sure how to do that, but we'll see.

Reversing lights:

Run a temporary lead from the working side to the bad side and see will the light/bulb works? Don't hit the earth to the bulb or you will blow the fuse.

See how that goes?

Right-hand dip might be a fuse if the bulb works elsewhere. It should have a fuse dedicated to that dip headlight, I think

Mursal, could the reverse light failure be a fuse? It's a brand new bulb. Maybe I could check that first. Just need to suss out where that particular fuse is located!

Ni I've not come across 2 fuses for the reversing lights, only one. So its a bad connection from the working side or a bad earth connection to the car body. If it is a bad earth you will have other issues.

Don't forget about the new earth connection for the tail gate?

Sponsored Links
Back