01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

Do whichever is easiest first, if it doesn't work try the other one. Probably a broken wire in the rubber boot coming from the car to the boot lid. But the temporary lead is best afraid you fix it (temporarily) again, without getting to the root cause.

Don't loose the run of yourself, because it mightn't be the cause. You can go mad if you actually find the fault ..... :)

Keep in touch

Sponsored Links
Just had a closer look at the earth cables in the boot of the car. Took some pictures. Left and right earth both look solid, although there are 2 brown cables on the left(passenger side) and only one on the right. I took some other pictures too. The wiring into the brake lights and indicators, which all looks ok.
About the reverse lights, I didn't notice any earthing from them. There is brown cable going into the bulbs, but doesn't seem to be any fixing to the car. And there is a nut placed exactly between the two lights, in the middle of the boot door. Should there be an earth cable to this from one of the reverse lights?
Finally there is a loose plug on the left had side(passenger side). My guess is that it used to be the cd changer, which is no longer in the car. Could this unbalance the electrics since it is going nowhere now?
Pictures:

Passenger side, in the boot, 2 earth cables. Seem solid. Not electrically tested yet as I can't find my tester.
1492fww.jpg

Driver side in the boot. 1 Earth cable. Again, seems solid, but why only 1 on this side compared to 2 on the passenger side?
b6zxn7.jpg

Passenger side wiring into the brake light/rear indicator.
2cp9wyb.jpg

Driver side brake light/indicator wiring.
2dgkz2h.jpg

Finally, a nut in the boot door, position right in the middle, between the 2 reverse lights. Doesn't seem to be doig anything. Should this be earthed from the reverse lights, and if so, how should I proceed?
35co57a.jpg

Does any of this show anything that might suggest what I need to do?
Thanks.

They don't necessarily have to use that nut, but you can if you want to put an additional earth to the lights?
The earths always look good its only when you use a new lead you find the fault.
If those blue connectors (Scotch Blocks) are used to drive the lights, you might consider getting rid of them. They are very unreliable, but they may not be in use if a tow-bar has been taken off.

There is no tow bar, so I guess that it must have been removed. So I can remove all of the blue Scotch blocks? On Both sides? Would this be interfering with the brake lights to cause my problem?

If I do put an additional earth to the reverse lights, where will I take it from?

And if I remove the scotch blocks, where do the wires from side them go? They're all wrapped up and I don't wanna have to splice anything?

Thanks Mursal.

Sponsored Links
If the block has only two wires one on each end and inline/same colour, then the block isn't doing anything. So leave well alone. But if the wires are staggered/different colours, then the blocks are in use and do cause problems. Especially when they get damp they loose connection with the copper in the wire, due to corrosion. If unsure just pull on them slightly watching the fault to see if it changes. Pulling on the wires will strip a little bit of new copper for the connector to work on.

CD changer is not at fault.

I'll check those blocks first thing tomorrow and I'll let you know how I get on. So, if they are staggered and several wires per block then I can remove the blocks as they shouldn't be there since the tow bar is gone? Is that it? Could be why the brake pedal borrows steals power from the window heater switch? :!:

No because they might be powering more than the tow-bar. With the fault visible to you, gently pull on the wires in each block. If you see the problem changing, you have to source. If not best leave them alone, unless you want to rewire that area of the loom?

1. Wiggle the wires in the blocks
2. New earth from battery as a test
3. .......................
4. .....................

Had to go out for a drive today. The lights and heater were working properly again. :) I guess when I was rooting around yesterday, I fixed the problem, which I now believe to be a loose wire in one of the lights. On the way home the problem started again, probably after driving on a bumpy road! Anyway, once I get a proper look at it again, I'll keep you informed! Thanks again.

Got in there today and wiggled every wire I could find in the boot. Tried it with the brake engaged only, with the brake engaged and window heater on and it didn't show itself. The window mounted light works but only very barely. If I brake with the window heater on, the window mounted light turns off completely. The window heater doesn't appear to work at all. Perhaps it works when I am braking as the switch lights up when I brake. However, wiggling the wires didn't seem to bring the window mounted light on more intensely or make any difference to anything at all.

The only thing I can say that I noticed today that was odd, was that the yellow/green wire coming out of one of the scotch blocks, had been cut at the source basically. See the pic:

http://postimage.org/image/v8leigvp7/

Scitchloks, although quite ingenious, are renowned for problems.....personally I'd remove each one, and then tug the wires where the insulation has been pierced - just to see if the wire parts.
John :)

So you don't think they are 'in use' as such? I'd be happy to try any of this but I have no experience with wiring the car lights at all, even if I have some solder experience, and am quite willing!! :)

Difficlut to tell from here, but open one up (they just click to lock) and the original wire will pass directly through the scotchlok, and if there are additional wires connected, they go in the non through passage alongside.
Basically a steel slider cuts through the original wire insulation, and makes contact with the conductor within. It does the same with the accessory wire. If either of the wires are too thick, some conductor strands may be severed.
The entire scotchlok can be peeled away, leaving the metal slider in place which can be teased off with pliers.

John, I can't really think of what the Scotchlocs would be doing there to be honest? I have no tow bar, no trailer, the CD changer is gone. The Scotchlocs seem to be tap connectors, which I guess means that they are tapping into that power to power something else. Now the previous owner may have had something attached, but my boot is completely empty.
So hypothetically, if I take off the scotchlocs, am I looking at having to rewire into the brake light sockets/plugs? Or do I just have to make sure that each coloured wire is re-connected to itself where it may have been broke with the skotchloc? By using a joining block or something?

Obviously there has been something connected there in the car's history - more than likely a towbar, I feel.....these darn things certainly weren't a factory item :p
As SEAT electrics are generally fine, I just like things to be brought back to original, thats all.
So, take one of the scotchloks off, and see if there is any visible damage to the main wire. If there is, its best to cut, strip both ends, add some heat shrinkage tubing, twiddle the copper wire ends together then solder.
I don't rate choc block connectors either, I'm afraid!

Ok then. The next time I have light and no rain, I am gonna give that a go. I, like you, would prefer things as they were in the factory! Don't like or trust things that were not a standard thing! :)

So I just make sure to keep any split wires soldered back together and protected from moisture. Obviously keeping colour codes also. :) Thanks John.

Sponsored Links
Back