01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

It crossed my mind earlier on but once it got through the test with no reference to it, I figured that it must be fine?

Sponsored Links
So long as the exhaust system 'isn't blowing excessively' or 'isn't in danger of becoming loose' then it will pass.
I'm referring to those alloy heat shields that often go between the silencers and exhaust pipe and the floor. They are secured with crimped steel nuts that corrode the alloy through.
Certainly worth a look.....I can't think of anything else just yet!
John :)

Would that be something a standard auto repair shop might do cheaply? I could get them to check it out if its cheap. But I am not sure how much they're gonna charge for the 2 back tyres and whatever is causing the imbalance. I have a budget which right now, I cannot afford to go over! :(

Personally I'd wriggle around underneath and pay particular attention to the shield that goes over the catalytic converter.....they always break free.
The good news is that you don't really need it anyway!

Sponsored Links
Just back from the autoshop. I have to have a full brake inspection, so I have to drop it back in the morning. :( He said it could be calipers?
There's a €50 inspection charge which is only deductable upon any work that is done on the car to fix whatever the problem is. I'm beginning to wonder what this is actually going to cost.

Not the calipers themselves I suspect, rather that the pads have been fitted without their anti rattle shims (although not all designs use them, most do.....however the types where the pad clips into the piston don't always!)
Puzzler though - you said the noise was prevalent even though the car was stationary :confused:

I didn't mention the noise at all actually, which I haven't heard at all today anyway! :)
But from the readout of the car test results, he said it could be calipers. :confused:
We'll find out tomorrow, I guess! :) As is usual, I'll keep you posted!

But I think you may have drum brakes on the back, or are have you shiny disks through the wheels (when you look) like the front? If shiny you have disks on the back and it may well be a seized handbrake mechanism in the caliper. If drums, he's dreaming ................

No need to do a full inspection, just get the imbalance on the back axle fixed, the NCT have already done the inspection for you/them? Have you got a good small back street independent mechanic that can take a look for you?

Don't mean to be awkward, but better to put the money towards the actual fault, already listed

I know where you're coming from Mursal. But they did say that the inspection fee would only be chargeable if they don't fix anything. Presumably there is something to fix, and it will likely cost more than €50. And so it is covered either way, I guess.

Yes, good point and you will know the worst case scenario after they do the inspection

Well, the bad news is that the brakes need the works. Drums, Cylinders and shoes. :cry: €400. Then the 2 Tyres on top of that. Ouch.
Well, I guess they'll be good for a long while now once it's done.

That will certainly sort out the brake imbalance due to drum ovality......I don't think it will cause the rattle though!

John was I ripped off here? I mean looking at my car test result sheet, it says that ''Ovality above 90% is a fail''. The Ovality results on my car were front axle - nearside 11% and offside 12%. For the rear axle it was nearside 11% and offside 22%. one of these is anywhere near the 90% ovality fail? The overall imbalance on the rear axle was 39%, which is only 9% over the fail threshold.
What I have noticed immediately, is that the hand brake/parking brake is much much stiffer than it was previously.
Anyway the shoes cost me €70, the pair of cylinders cost €60 and the pair of drums cost me €180. That was before VAT I guess. Tyres were €70 ea. Then the fitting charge was around the €50 mark. I'm now smashed! Broke! :(

Think I can live with the rattle a while longer, since it won't fail the test on it anyway!
I have to drive several hundred miles now before the retest, right?

For sure, I can't say if new drums were needed or not - generally all I do is to remove all of the dust within, and grind the lip off the inside edge which gets missed by the shoes. of course, yours would have needed bearings too.
The last drums I had to replace due to ovality were on a 1993 Cavalier :p
Cylinders and shoes - fair enough.
The shoes will wear in quickly enough - I usually just tug the handbrake on a couple of times when I'm driving slowly...it centralises the shoes this way and should set the self adjusters.
So - you're broke but the car has the test - right?

It should have yeah. :) Between new tyres and this and the other little bits and pieces, I've now spent more on repairs than I have on the car! Mostly wear and tear, yes, but still. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back