01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

Sponsored Links
Hi Mursal. NCT is just out, so I am going to book it tomorrow. The harness I have, the actual clip that plugs into the back of the fog light, is clogged with the remains of the old leads. It's the clip from the picture linked on page 6. Is there any way to get the old wires out of the clip and clamp the freshly stripped fog light wires into it. The problem is that there is no wire left to join onto, it is warn so much. :(

Guys, you are going to LOVE this. John, you were correct. While it really, REALLY looks like this car has 2 reverse lights, it doesn't. The one on the right is the fog lamp. :oops: I never had the 2 on at the same time during my testing, mainly because I was satisfied that the fog lamp was fine. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. Delighted with myself for managing to splice, solder, earth a couple of cables, all seemed well when I tested with the voltage tester. So I wired it all up and then noticed that the ''reverse light'' on the right hand side was shining bright red. :oops: FOG LAMP ALERT!!!! :oops: :evil:
So, in actual fact, I had no need to do anything. The fog light and reverse light were both working perfectly before I messed with it!!! The earth voltage test produced nothing from that side, because I didn't have the fog light switched on. :oops:
Anyway, to make a long story even more boring, I tried reversing the process and now my fog light doesn't work!!!! I guess I may have blown the fuse somewhere along the way???

After the embarrassment passed, I decided that the only way to redeem myself for my own stupidity, was to go out and fix the brake light/heated window issue. Thankfully after 5 minutes of making sure the earths to the heated window and the window mounted brake light were secure, that issue was solved. I guess one of them was loose? So I felt a little better then. :D

Now, I guess I have to replace the fuse for the fog light. At this stage though the harness plug is almost unusable. How can I get the 2 metal clamps in the harness plug open so that I can take out the old wiring old worn wiring, and clamp in the freshly prepared fog lamp wires? IS there an easy way to do this?

Made my day, that :p
We all make the odd mistake, and the skill is not admitting to it :p
The rest of your issue will need solder I imagine, and its just the fuse thats popped on the other lamp.
John :)

I did wrestle with the idea of keeping my mouth shut about the mess I made, but I felt you two guys deserved the truth for all your help, and I knew that it would also be quite amusing. :)

Sponsored Links
Nice one.... :p
Time to get handy with the soldering iron, and if you have to cut any wire then use heat shrink tubing instead of insulating tape to cover the join......makes a much neater job.
Unfortunately with this stuff, it only works if its slid on as a tube - it won't rejoin if you slit it and use it like tape.

Believe you me we are laughing with you, not at you as tomorrow it will be us, not might, will.

Can you put a pointy noise thing in to release the connector from the plug? Or even a gentle pull from the front of the plug with pointy noise pliers?

A breaker might give you a plug? I.ll DIG out page 6 and get back to you

Edit 1:
Yes pull from the front while pushing on the wire at the back. You will bend the little clip but can re solder or crimp the new wire on and reconnect. Not an easy task, once you get the connector out of the plug its easy from there.

This is turning into a right epic :p

All the lights are working! :) The epic comes to an end! Let us hope there is no sequel!!!! :)

I guess, I'll get and oil change and put some fuel additive in just before the test and we'll see what comes back. Normally, they'll find something to be done. But I reckon it'll be weeks before the test happens.

Thanks guys. Not a chance I could have gotten through this without you!

Might I suggest you park her up until the day before the test ..... :LOL:

:mrgreen: It could be a few weeks to test, but I'll report back here once it's gone through! It'd be a shame to leave loose ends at this stage!!!

Ok, so Car test is on Friday and I've bee trying to suss out a few more ifs and buts, although at this stage, just running it though to see what comes back might be best. Anyhow....
Guys is this my brake hose? I've been trying to investigate the rattling noise coming from the front of the car, which strangely, only happens sometimes. But I found this hose/cable, on drivers side, to be loose at the more to the front side. Only on the drivers side.

118j0nt.jpg

35bxle8.jpg

I reckon it is a possible source for the odd rattle noise, but at the same time, when I had the front tyres done, I reckon the fitter would have noticed this surely?

I'd very much doubt if that was a rattler.....if the noise is more of a dull knock, consider the drop links from anti roll bar to the front strut - prime candidate!
So long as this hose isn't rubbing the tyre, all will be well here.

Doesn't to be rubbing the tyre. But it doesn't appear to be fixed in place either. Everything else seems solid and tightly in place behind both front wheels. The rattle is dull sounding and sometimes sounds like dull grinding, but it sounds like a metal loose rattle most of the time. I must try to capture some audio. But either way, the test is on friday afternoon, and I guess if it is an issue, the testers WILL find it! They ALWAYS find something! :)

Ok so I tried to record the noises from my car. Obviously, you will hear the indicator switch from time to time, and perhaps ramps on the road making the car bumpier. The noise that bothers me most is the last one @ 0:54 and again @ 1:37. It sounds like creaking or grinding. Not sure if the recording does it justice. The rattle is there also @ 0:23 and 0:42 and I certainly think the 2 noises are from the same source. It doesn't happen all the time but it is often enough.

23 seconds, 42 seconds, 54 seconds, 1:37 seconds.

Any ideas?

Car test on Friday afternoon. I guess I could find out then!!!! :)

Anybody any ideas about those noises?

Also, I'm thinking of doing an oil change using the extraction method. Any idea what type of extraction kit I should get?

Sponsored Links
Back