taxing my car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - just got a car, but no ta, i have mot and insurance certificate...the seller didnt give me the green part 10 new keepers bit....i have the rest of the v5 document...can i go tommorow and get tax for the car from the podt office?..ta

Sponsored Links
If you have the tear off slip V5C/2 (thats the new keeper supplement) then you can get your tax at any Post office designated to supply car tax......if you don't have that then its a local DVLA office that you'll need.
Take all your documents with you, though.
John :)

no, i havnt got the V5C/2 it was missing so the seller gave me the rest of the v5 document ,they did sign it at the bottom along with myself and date of sale of car..

For this one, I think, you'll need form V62 which allows you to apply for a new V5 in your name, but you can also use it to tax your car at the same time - but only at a DVLA office, if memory serves.
John :)

Sponsored Links
According to the notes on the current V62 form, it suggests that DVLA won't accept the license application at all until you have a new V5C in your name:

If you are not the registered keeper, and you do not have a V5C/2, you will not be able to tax the vehicle until you receive a V5C in
your name. Until then you cannot tax the vehicle and therefore you
must make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

So it seems that they now expect you to wait around for 6 to 8 weeks not using the vehicle until they get around to issuing the new registration certificate. :rolleyes:

Any chance you can get the last keeper to tax it for you, waiting 6/8 weeks is unacceptable in my book, anyway, he was the guy who never gave you the new keepers part of the V5. ;)

result..guys....i took it to the main post office, i wa swearing my royal uniform...went to a lady instead of the grumpy looking bloke behind the counter...started chatting to her....anyway she said so you work for royal mail..i said yeah etc etc...i told her about the v5 document said it was signed by the seller and myself..showed her the mot and insurance certificate..she said no problem..have to look after our own staff..lol, gave me the tax and said shell send the v5 away and i should get a new v5 in my name soon....great!

Back