taxing a new car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'm getting a new ( to me ) car at the start of the month ( why lose a months tax for a week? ).
It has no tax so how do I go about taxing it?
I've already arranged for my insurance to change over to the new car at 0:01 on the 1st of the month, but as I won't be the registered keeper until I send off the logbook, what do I take to the post office to tax it?

Sponsored Links
The little slip you take from the old V5, which says you're the keeper until you get the V5 which arrives in your name.

Has the current owner got the docs to tax it? You may need that and the MOT certificate if it needs one.

it's from a dealer so they refunded the tax on it..
they will be getting a 12 month MOT on it so that's not a problem.
They have the V5C.

SO i can use the New Keeper Supplement to tax it? but only at a post office?
everything else is done online, why can't they transfer vehicle registration online too..
It would be a simple thing to issue any new registration with a pin number / random password.
Then it would just be a case of putting the vehicle registration in and your DVLA issued password, then all of the new owners details and they get sent the new logbook with their own new password to follow..

SO i can use the New Keeper Supplement to tax it? but only at a post office?
Basically, yes; this is from the DVLA website;

Tax with a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement – in person or by post
You can tax in person at any Post Office® branch that issues tax discs.

You will need to take:

* Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement
* insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* valid MOT certificate - if the car or motorcycle is over three years old - must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* the payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

You can also tax at a DVLA local office or by post to selected Post Office® branches.

You will need:

* Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement
* a completed V10 'Vehicle licence application'
* insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* valid MOT certificate - if the car or motorcycle is over three years old - must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* the payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

The New Keeper Supplement can only be used for taxing for two months from the date you bought your vehicle. If it’s out of date, you’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name – please see ‘Taxing without a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement’ below.

They will want to see a valid insurance certificate with the NEW registration on it, they won't accept the old one & your word that you have changed it over & it's in the post!

everything else is done online, why can't they transfer vehicle registration online too..
It would be a simple thing to issue any new registration with a pin number / random password.
Then it would just be a case of putting the vehicle registration in and your DVLA issued password, then all of the new owners details and they get sent the new logbook with their own new password to follow..
Give em time, I expect they will get there eventually. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Similar situation a while ago, the lady in the post office wouldnt except a faxed cover note. So get the insurance to post the cover note quickly...

Hi Coljack
I hope it has a proper MOT, as steering wobble would fail it would have thought.
JonB :confused:

how would they know though?
if it's caused by wheel ballance or tracking it will only show up on actua; driving.. which they don't do.. they wobble the wheel on the ramp to see if it's sloppy or loose but I've never had one drive it..

make sure the insurance starts before you try and tax at the PO as the twots won't issue the disc until the time on the insurance so if your insurance starts at 3pm you will not get the disc before 3pm as they are jobsworths of the highest order!!

dad just phoned and said that the dealers will tax it in my name.
presumably by filling in the new keeper suppliment and using that..
don't they ask for ID when applying for tax? or can you apply for tax on behalf of someone else?

Why I asked if it's a from a dealer. They usually tax it for you, but they will need your insurance certificate (the original) for that car.

I have read the post and the information which you have shared here about the taxing process that is good and i think if you donot pay yet that then fine to be go through the insurance details.

Sponsored Links
Back