1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Changes in Road Tax from October 1st 2014

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by skhudy, 7 Mar 2014.

1. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That brings back memories! Before the MoT days, one of our teachers had an
    old Humber, with a broken tail light on the nearside. He just hung one of those old road-works lamps off the rear bumper and lit it at night :LOL:
    Thanks.

2. Mikefromlondon

Mikefromlondon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Back in the late 70s, I had a Hillman Hunter, took it for an MOT, in those days you sat in your car's driving seat whilst the examiner remained outside and operated the buttons on that roller brake testing, then newly introduced, as prior to that the examiner/tester drove your car with an accelrometer and braked sharply and took the reading on that gadget, it also confirmed if there were any pulling to one side during braking, hence the brake balance.

On one occasion, the tester shouted horn...and I pressed the horn button, nearside indicators, outside indicators, ...... foot brakes, and I pressed the foot brakes , and finally he shouted hand brake, and I applied the handbrake fully, but he noticed that one of the wheels nearest to him was still spinning, so he thought I had not heard him well, so he shouted again more loudly HAND BRAKE, realising that I had already applied the handbrake so it can't be working then, I pressed on my footbrakes as well, with the ignition off, and the handbrake passed Ok, basically i fooled him into thinking that i hadn't applied it hard enough, (one of my rear wheel hand brake mechanism had seized up).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jesus Christ just how old are you tony? I thought you were joking when you said you were born in 1851!

4. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :LOL: