Insurance Cert' not needed for Tax, and more

Sponsored Links
It's heavily flawed as usual.

Oh well we might catch up with the rest of the world in a few years. :LOL:

I've read it 5 times and still don't understand this.....does the vehicle still need to be insured even if its off the road?

Sponsored Links
With todays technology they can tell ...who the car is registered to.. seconds to get the drivers details on the dvla database to see if he has a full licence ,points or even banned.. in seconds they can tell if the car has been in a accident.. if its insured,taxed and mot........ but its took me 4 weeks to get NCD off my old insurance company and forwarded to the next one...... and with all this technology it still takes 5 days to clear a cheque :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had my Skoda SORN'ed for a while before I sold it, and I didn't need to insure it, but I paid sub £100 pa to Fire and Theft cover it, just in case.

I had my Skoda SORN'ed for a while before I sold it, and I didn't need to insure it, but I paid sub £100 pa to Fire and Theft cover it, just in case.

Surely you'd only need cover against fire. Nobody nicks Skodas!

(I have one too, btw!)

Surely you'd only need cover against fire. Nobody nicks Skodas!

(I have one too, btw!)

No one nicks new VW's....er I mean Skodas.... but the old good stuff would be nickable. :)

It's a very badly written article, makes little sense even to someone who knows the rules.

The problem with databases is that they frequently get it wrong...

DVLA have made numerous cockups including losing motorcyclists' licence entitlements (forcing them to retake a test) and cars being wrongly seized.

When that spy on the road (ANPR) tells plod that you are uninsured/untaxed, then for them you are uninsured/untaxed unless you can prove otherwise.

Try doing that with no hard copy!

I tried to tax a car online a while ago, and the car apparently didn't exist!

What makes it even worse is there are no longer any local DVLA offices to go to and try and get some sense.

I can see me having a nightmare taxing/insuring my motorbike as it hasn't been on the road since '86. With no reminder docs and little history of the vehicle I can see it being a few months of phone calls and letters to Swansea. Up until last month I could have taken the bike and all docs round to my local office for a greater chance of first time success.

With todays technology they can tell ...who the car is registered to.. seconds to get the drivers details on the dvla database to see if he has a full licence ,points or even banned.. in seconds they can tell if the car has been in a accident.. if its insured,taxed and mot........ but its took me 4 weeks to get NCD off my old insurance company and forwarded to the next one...... and with all this technology it still takes 5 days to clear a cheque :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ah yes but..... they can't tell whose driving now can they!! Banks can clear cheques instantly, they just don't want to. Mind in all fairness they wish people would stop using the pesky things.

The problem with databases is that they frequently get it wrong...

DVLA have made numerous cockups including losing motorcyclists' licence entitlements (forcing them to retake a test) and cars being wrongly seized.

When that spy on the road (ANPR) tells plod that you are uninsured/untaxed, then for them you are uninsured/untaxed unless you can prove otherwise.

Try doing that with no hard copy!

I tried to tax a car online a while ago, and the car apparently didn't exist!

The DVLA systems are/were developed by fujitsu services as was the national health service IT shambles so what do you expect! !

The DVLA systems are/were developed by fujitsu services as was the national health service IT shambles so what do you expect! !
It doesn't matter who the contractor is, or how many back handers they have paid...

When it comes to Government IT contracts it is the fault of whichever incumbant continually moving the goalposts that causes the screw ups!

Sponsored Links
Back