Electric Car Tax

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
https://www.ft.com/content/405467f9-c3cd-4b4d-bc48-2582890e7820

"Electric cars are to be subject to vehicle excise duty for the first time under measures to be introduced by Jeremy Hunt, the UK chancellor, in this month’s Autumn Statement.

People briefed on Hunt’s plans said that applying road tax to electric vehicles was the first sign of a chancellor “dipping a toe in the water” to address the fall in motoring tax revenues caused by the transition to battery-powered vehicles, as their owners also avoid paying fuel duty.

Last year the Treasury warned that “new sources of revenue” would be needed as the country switches to EVs. Fuel duty and VED raise about £35bn for the exchequer but the Office for Budget Responsibility has forecast that the growing share of electric car sales would cut motoring tax revenues by £2.1bn by 2026-27.

The introduction of excise duty, or VED, to electric cars could take effect from 2025-26, according to officials briefed on the plan, although the Treasury declined to comment on “speculation” ahead of the November 17 fiscal statement.

There are more than 1mn electric vehicles on UK roads, with annual sales rising exponentially. Around 15 per cent of the new vehicles sold so far this year run on batteries, according to the SMMT industry body. Current sales growth means there are likely to be several million battery cars on the road by the middle of the decade. Owners of most petrol and diesel cars pay £165 a year in road tax and continuing the VED exemption for the growing fleet of electric vehicles could cost the exchequer around £1bn a year by the middle of the decade."

Sponsored Links
VED covers the cost of a lot of things including maintaining the highways and by-ways.
Why shouldn't they pay some form of charge to contribute to the repairs? They wear them out just as much as a petrol or diesel vehicle.

VED covers the cost of a lot of things including maintaining the highways and by-ways.
The old joke was that if all of it was used for that the entire country would be covered in concrete and tarmac,

There does seem to have been a change

;) but

Personally given infrequent trips to the London area over many years I think loads has been spent there.

I know of some that have been paid for by refunds from the EU. Motorway class, no islands.

I'm all for the rich being taxed..... most electric car owners are not short of a Bob or two , so no problem from me. Let them contribute.

Sponsored Links
Ofc, the govt are going to have to introduce VED for EVs.

Just worried what's going to happen to VED for the hated Diesels. It's going to sky-rocket so people are discouraged from keeping them.

Ofc, the govt are going to have to introduce VED for EVs.

Just worried what's going to happen to VED for the hated Diesels. It's going to sky-rocket so people are discouraged from keeping them.

I'm hanging onto my Van as buying a new diesel can could be a costly mistake. Can't afford electric and petrol vans are near non existent

I'm hanging onto my Van as buying a new diesel can could be a costly mistake. Can't afford electric and petrol vans are near non existent
Yeah, we've decided we're going to hang on to ours for as long as we can without making it the automotive equivalent of Trigger's broom.

Pure EVs are out for us at the moment. The range is not up to scratch and the charging network is fragile.

If we had to move away from Diesel, it would be a hybrid.

good for hunt I say

Why should they get away with not paying tax

I have 2 cars now that are tax exempt :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back