£500m handouts for the needy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jeremy Hunt offers £500m to keep factory for Jaguar Land Rover in UK

Jeremy Hunt has put half a billion pounds in subsidies on the table to stop a new electric battery “giga-factory” for one of Britain’s biggest car manufacturers going abroad.

Amid growing concerns in government about the threat facing the UK car industry as it transforms towards electric vehicles, the Treasury has drawn up a package of incentives to persuade the owner of Jaguar Land Rover to invest in the UK.

The parent company, the Indian conglomerate Tata, is weighing up whether to site a planned giga-factory production facility for future electric vehicles in the UK or Spain.

Sponsored Links
Sounds cheap. Well, it's exactly half of the subsidy Germany are paying Tesla.

Jeremy Hunt offers £500m to keep factory for Jaguar Land Rover in UK

Jeremy Hunt has put half a billion pounds in subsidies on the table to stop a new electric battery “giga-factory” for one of Britain’s biggest car manufacturers going abroad.

Amid growing concerns in government about the threat facing the UK car industry as it transforms towards electric vehicles, the Treasury has drawn up a package of incentives to persuade the owner of Jaguar Land Rover to invest in the UK.

The parent company, the Indian conglomerate Tata, is weighing up whether to site a planned giga-factory production facility for future electric vehicles in the UK or Spain.

When in Canada my uncle told me that Ford didn't advertise the fact that jaguar was Ford because it would loose its prestige of not being British. A jaguar made in Spain would be just a big Seat.

Sponsored Links
They aren't comparable. Tesla Berlin makes half a million cars a year at the moment but no batteries. That's around 2/3 our entire countries output at the moment.

They also have plans for a million a a year and 100- 250GWh of battery production. If we get something similar scale for 500 million then that's fantastic.

If it's a 30GWh minnow and no additional cars then it's crap.

Last edited:
So taxpayer's money goes in, and I'll wager that shareholders will carry on getting their dividends...

Corporate governance as usual !

So taxpayer's money goes in, and I'll wager that shareholders will carry on getting their dividends...

Corporate governance as usual !

The Spanish have offered JLR 300 million, other EU countries will likely offer more.

I'd be happy to see the Govt pay a billion to keep them in this country, it'll be repaid by taxes alone within a few short years anyway.

I know being a wage slave you are completely clueless about business matters but has anyone ever explained to you the reason why people become shareholders? I’ll give you a clue; it’s not to lose money. ;)

I'd be interested to know what the conditions are around receiving the £500m i.e. what sort (and duration of) commitment the recipient would need to make to the UK.

I'm all in favour of helping British Industry to the max, but there's little doubt the EU will make it as difficult as possible.

Solutions on a postcard...

I know being a wage slave you are completely clueless about business matters but has anyone ever explained to you the reason why people become shareholders? I’ll give you a clue; it’s not to lose money. ;)
You understand nothing...

Except being a parasitic worm...

Bad Karma is coming for you, and you'll find there won't be many who give a t*ss for you when it happens!

Bad Karma is coming for you
You keep saying that. When's it going to happen?

IMG_4973.gif

That hasn't happened.
The Spanish have offered JLR 300 million, other EU countries will likely offer more.

I'd be happy to see the Govt pay a billion to keep them in this country, it'll be repaid by taxes alone within a few short years anyway.

You made trading harder with the EU with Brexit you f uk wads.

Sponsored Links
Back